Ok I've decided to buy a 7800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid Runner

Baseband Member
I've seen info on the XFX and the PNY site that says all the card needs is 350W and 20A on the 12V and I have a 360W with 24A on the 12V. All I have connected to my PSU that has any real power consumption is a 3.2 ghz cpu, one hard drive, and 2 optical drives, so I'm guessing there is enough power left over for the new GPU.

I'd say so, maybe cutting it a little close and I wouldn't want to screw around with a power shortage but that's your call. What's the brand of the PSU?

If you want to upgrade the system in the future as well, it really wouldn't hurt to buy a solid Antec Truepower 2 450watt PSU. Even if you don't upgrade anythign else in the future, the new PSU will give you a stable system with your 7800GT and also allow for some OCing :) Might come in handy when you add another HD too.

If I was able to upgrade my psu i would, I have a prebuilt and the PSU has a very different shape :mad: I thought about taking the 6800 GS, putting a Zalman on it and OCing it like crazy but have been told that no matter how much u OC it will never get up to the performance of a 7800GT stock so I decided to go for the gold and get the best I possibly could.

Yeah I calculated it there and I get about 315W with the CPU at 100% utilization. I can't really find a non OC'ed 7800 GT in my price range. Newegg has a slightly OC'ed EVGA (which is the same speed as the one I used in the calculation) one that is about $260 so that is looking good to me.

Jam3s, about the 7900, I heard it will be like 300 when it comes out, that's sounds pretty good for the predicted specs. Will it use more or less power than the 7800GT, and do you mean the price of the 7800GT will go down or the price of the 7900 because the 7800 series is being discontinued and could actually rise in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom