Decent -400 Gaming Rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is getting a refurbished 9700 Pro. And the hard drive is fine, I would advise getting a better power supply, but other than that, you're good to go.

Geesh... are you my pimp or something?

Anyway, I found a special 1 time only sale for a 512 3200 at Frys for 22 dollars or something.

I guess i'm gonna stick with my origional ram though, and have 1 gig (which I would get sooner or later) and move on from there. I picked the cheapest power supply i could find. If you can find one that cheap, then by all means, show me.

Sometimes less is better, if it's high quality. You would be better off with 512MB of Corsair ram then some cheapass brand no one has ever heard of. Same with the power supply.

Sounds like a great system. The memory was the only thing I didn't like from your first post, but with 3200 you will have lots of room to overclock the CPU. Go for it, 540 is a good price for what looks to be a great gaming rig

DEFINITELY get a different power supply, antec, enlight ( a few others i dont remember) are good. they may not be cheap, but listen to to old addage: "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" thats right, if you get a cheap PSU you will end up spending more money in the long run because it will most likely fail on you and possibly take out another component with it.

here is a better card that is made by ATI and is in stock. ( as of this post 3/15/04)

ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-331&depa=1

I see "OEM" and get chills. I think you should avoid OEM at all costs, it's been shunned in my computer mind since birth :p

Almost all of my computer components are OEM, there is nothing wrong with them.

And the 9700 Pro is better than the 9600 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom