Maxtor 3100 External HDD Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie373

Beta member
Hi all! I'm new to this board and have probably announced myself as a new member first before posting my problem... Please forgive my rudeness. Ok on to my unfortunate event...

I went out to staples today and purchased a new Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 HDD. It's 200 GB. Got home and hooked it up and windows started doing its Found New Hardware thing. Looked like it was going well and then... "USB Device Not Recognized". Underneath that header it says one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned.

OK. I'm not new to this kind of thing. I looked through the box hoping to find some documentation... I DID! A stupidly small piece of paper called a quick guide that has no words and a few pictures. That tells you just how fool proof this hdd is supposed to be! I went to MaxtorÂ’s website looking for a driver download and they had one! Just not one for my windows version... that reminds me... I think that you guys would be better able to help me if you knew what kind of pc I have, huh?

It is an:
HP Media Center PC m1297c (stock except for an added 1 GB of ram... 2 GB total)
It has 6 USB 2.0 slots in it. 2 in front and 4 in back.

I googled my problem and have been searching for an answer for the last 2 hours. A few people have had similar problems with this and suggested that I Right Click on MY Computer, then go to manage then disc management and just reassign the device a new letter... Problem with that is that it doesn't even show up in there. I can't reassign something that isn't there. I have played with the device manager... Uninstalled the "unknown driver" and re installed it. I have un plugged everything and let is sit for 5 minutes then re-installed it. Oh, and the last thing that I did was hook it up to my wife's laptop. Yeah, the dam thing worked fine on it. So... any suggestions?
:confused:

Plug it into the USB plugs on the back of your machine if you didn't already. Somtimes the cables to the hub on the front of your machine become loose and make it appear that your devices are not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom