Computer won't boot after MB replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstasiak

Solid State Member
OK here's my problem. I recently replaced a motherboard in one of my computers and upon the first bootup I got a message saying to configure the BIOS for the CPU being used. The old MB was a biostar ver. 7.3. The new one is the same exact MB only version 7.B. After I got the CPU message I configured the BIOS properly and continued to boot into windows XP. As soon as Windows loaded, the computer restarted itself and went straight to a black screen and doesn't let me do anything. The original problem with this PC was that it would randomly restart(not shutdown....restart). Sometimes 15 minutes after being powered up, sometimes after 5 minutes. I thought for sure it was the motherboard that was giving me problems which is why I replaced it. I ruled out a power supply problem since it always turned on.....if only for 15 minutes, but it did turn on every time. I also ruled out a memory problem since I was getting no stop error codes or anything like that. Can anyone offer me any advice??

This is a PC I got from someone who had it built by someone else. I don't think any quality hardware was used. Could it be that it's just a poor build? Is it worth trying to figure this problem out?

How different is the motherboard? I'm not that familiar with the version you have but usually you need to reinstall windows when you change the motherboard due to the amount of different drivers needed.

Does it run ok if you boot in safe mode?

Reformat your hard disk. than it should boot. If it doesn't than it can also be the PSU not giving the computer enough juice.

You need to reinstall windows. You don't need to reformat. Just do a repair installation. Not the repair console though! Just follow the instructions as if you're going to install Windows, and then when it asks you whether you'd like to do a complete or a repair install, do the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom