FX-60...Overkill?

Would you put your keyboard through the dishwasher?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they have the same core and same cache, so the only difference seems to be the multiplier wich is unlocked upwards.

bryan64 said:
...without the hassle of O/C'ing. Does his mean I will not dabble in O/C'ing... no. Do I necessarily want to... also no.

O/C'ing is the nitrous of the computer world. To use the old hot rod adage... I prefer my speed to be naturally aspirated. No gimmicks, no fuss.

So not wanting to O/C and wanting to buy the FX-60 neither makes me an idiot or excessively rich. Because I am neither.

HAHA, idiot. You seem semi-intelligent so you could probably overclock if you wanted. But the fact that you aren't rich, and are STILL buying a FX-60 makes baby Jesus cry.

OC'ing is nothing like nitro. With nitro, you're adding something to the car to make it go faster, something potentially dangerous that could negatively affect the car. Overclocking is more like turning a knob and raising the horsepower of an underpowered car.

Maybe you should learn a little bit about overclocking. Every processor has a limit. When it's being fabricated, AMD gives it a designation much lower than the highest limit. The processor might be capable and stable at 2.8GHz, but AMD will underclock it to 2.2GHz to be sure, and to make sure that it will work at stock voltages. That means that there is a lot of breathing room for the stable operation of the car.

Maybe this will get through to your little skull. How about you buy a C6 Corvette. 400BHP. Now lets say that, during production, the horsepower was restricted to 300BHP. When you get the car, you took away whatever could have been restricting the horsepower (more of a software thing. A restrictor plate would be different). So now you have a 400BHP car that is SUPPOSED to be running at 400BPH. Hmm, I wonder.

Don't tell me not to flame this guy, this is ridiculous.

My thoughts on this matter:

If you have the money, I do not believe that there is any reason why you wouldn't buy the FX-60. Some people don't like to overclock, despite the fact that you can get the same speeds as higher cost processors for alot less money. I do not see anything wrong with that.

If you don't have the money, then the prices may seem absurd, and you may stick to lower-end processors, and overclock, saving money. I don't see anything wrong with that either.

I also agree that there is no such thing as too much power in a PC. Personally, I am saving for a server motherboard with four CPU slots, four dual-core processors, and 16GB of RAM. I don't care.

Everyone is different. Some like to overclock, others don't. Some have 1000$ burning a hole in their pockets to spend on a FX-60. I say more power to them. For those of us that don't, well, maybe we can be happy just feeling a little more shrewd than the rest of the world :)

Like I should build a pentium D extreme Smithfield for $1100! LOL! I'm not doing anything big until Vista, DX10 are the standards.

Flanker said:
OC'ing is nothing like nitro. With nitro, you're adding something to the car to make it go faster, something potentially dangerous that could negatively affect the car. Overclocking is more like turning a knob and raising the horsepower of an underpowered car.

exactly, you aren't adding anything when you overclock.

Dante_Caligari said:
My thoughts on this matter:

If you have the money, I do not believe that there is any reason why you wouldn't buy the FX-60. Some people don't like to overclock, despite the fact that you can get the same speeds as higher cost processors for alot less money. I do not see anything wrong with that.

If you don't have the money, then the prices may seem absurd, and you may stick to lower-end processors, and overclock, saving money. I don't see anything wrong with that either.

I also agree that there is no such thing as too much power in a PC. Personally, I am saving for a server motherboard with four CPU slots, four dual-core processors, and 16GB of RAM. I don't care.

Everyone is different. Some like to overclock, others don't. Some have 1000$ burning a hole in their pockets to spend on a FX-60. I say more power to them. For those of us that don't, well, maybe we can be happy just feeling a little more shrewd than the rest of the world :)

Kudos for an excellent post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom