Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lineage2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

Vinsanity
Since I can't decide on which motherboard to buy right now I figured I should just get the cpu first. I have $60 saved up right now and i am going to keep saving up for a CPU. For the money I want to spend these are the two processors i am loking at. I like how the AMD Opteron 144 has 1 mb L2 cache instead of just 512kb, and I like how it can overlcok better. Should i get the Athlon 64 3200+?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

or the

AMD Opteron 144?
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA22046&CartID=done&nextloc=

Which would you buy?

Seeing as the Opterons are now known for overclocking, I'd go for the Opteron. If you can get it to overclock faster than the 3200+ then why not get one?

Easy, easy choice. The Opteron is going to outperform it straight out of the box. The L2 cache alone is going to make up for the measley 200mhz clock difference. Then you can overclock and pretend you have an FX 53 at the very least.

Ryan

What I don't understand is that if the opteron 144 and the athlon 64 3200 are the same price, but the opteron is soo much better. Then why are more people buying the athlon when hardly anybody is buying the opteron 144?

Because of the name. Its the same reason why the average Joe Six-Pack wants a Pentium instead of an Athlon.

They also know gigahertz. Operton is almost a secret to anyone who isn't well versed in modern computing. No one thinks, "Hmm, I'll look at the performance of this server CPU." It's kindof neat actually. :)

People don't know about AMD as it is, let alone thier server chip lineup.

Ryan

yeah true the average person barely knows AMD as it is. It will be cool when my friends who own dell's come over and ask "oh what kind of processor do you have? Pentium 4? How many gigahertz? I'll be like I have an Opteron. 1.8ghz baby. They'll probaly say only 1.8ghz i have a pentium 4 3.0ghz. Lol. It will be funny. The irony that they think their p4 3.0ghz is better than my opteron at 1.8 ghz is funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom