Computer stuck in a continuous reboot cycle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmonicsa

Solid State Member
Here is the message I get (after bios):

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to power failure or because the Power or Restart button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally

Use up and down arrows to highlight your choice."

Now I tried each option and all that happens is the screen goes blank and reboots after about 2 seconds. It repeats the cycle every time.

When I woke up one morning it was in this cycle already. I don't recall installing anything new the night before.

How do I find out what is causing the problem? I don't have a Win XP CD to boot from atm but I know I'll need one to do a repair install, but that still won't tell me what is causing the problem, and if it's hardware that won't fix the problem either. I did have a virus guard that ran a scan every night. It was AVG (the free one).

Can anyone tell me what steps to take to identify what caused this? I have an old computer hooked up now so you can walk me through anything and I'm somewhat computer literate. The computer with the problem is one I built about a month ago and had been running just fine until this problem showed up a few days ago. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

-James

If you have only had it for a month and there isnt too much files on it you could just reinstall windows lol. If it has a virus that wont let you go into windows then you're screwed from the best that I know. Try reseting the cmos jumper on the mobo. Sometimes that might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom