Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg

Beta member
Hi all,

Just did a small upgrade to my pc:

XFX 7800GT 256MB Extreme Ed PCI-E @ Stock Speeds.

460W Jeantech powersupply.

I also flashed my bios.

Im quite new to upgrading and this is a major leap for me, but I uncovered a problem. When I play a 3D game such as unreal tournament 2004 or counterstrike source, my pc freezes and my cpu light stays lit. Sometimes the game will freeze for 15secs or it will completely go and restart. This comes after two hours of gaming. I really don't have a clue what could be causing this, I'd guess its concerned with the three upgrades above. :confused:

Can anyone help!?

Anything what-so-ever if much appreciated.

can you post your full system specs? what sort of cooling does your case have?

when you upgraded the graphics card did you uninstall the old graphics drivers before taking out the old card? also when putting in the PSU did you connect all of the power connectors? (two for the motherboard on most modern PCs, and the appropriabe power connector for the Graphics card?)

Thanks for the reply,

I uninstalled the old drivers and then reinstalled the latest drivers from nvidia.

Yes the PSU wires are all in the right place, I took one out at a time and inserted the new one. The connecter is also in the gfx card.

My pc has one 12cm Fan, the CPU fan, PSU fan and fan blowing through it from the outside (added this because I thought the temperature might be affecting it). I also took the side panel off. It doesn't seem to happen as much when the side panel is removed. When I put my hand near the PC conponents when the PC freezes, the air around is cool.

My system specs are:

AMD athlon 64 3500
OCZ Value RAM
Jeantech 460W PSU
XFX 7800GT 256MB Extreme Ed PCI-E @ Stock Speeds.
Standard case
Samsung 320GB HD
Unable to find make of MOBO.
DVD/RW Drive
DVD Drive

The back of my PSU has a switch with the letters H, A and L. Im guessing these are high power, auto power? and low power? Can't seem to find the manual to check on this. Could this switch be the key factor in my problem? Its set on H, when playing games.

How many amps does your PSU have on the 12v rail/s?

What temperature is your videocard at?

My gfx card runs at 48 degrees

How many amps does your PSU have on the 12v rail/s? Can you explain? I was advised this PSU, so wouldn't know. How can I check?

Think this might be the problem though, managed to minimize in one of its freezes...

Just open up the side of the case. The PSU will have a sticker on it. Read what it says for amps on the 12v, your PSU may have dual lines so tell us both of them.

I think a good old format may be your solution though.

No need.

Found an error message that came up just before the restart. Something about the display driver is not working properly

Google searched the error and to my surprise, lots of entries.

Found a zip folder to download

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4432

I reverted my BIOS back to optimized settings, changed my fan speed to high and installed the file with the instructions given and to my surprise, no more freezing at all!

Thanks for all the help.

KG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom