FX-60...Overkill?

Would you put your keyboard through the dishwasher?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used bottleneck a lose term. The maximum FPS is determind by the CPU. My 7800gt is bottlenecked by my AMD 64 3000. If I increased the CPU speed then it would be quite a bit higher.

A good example was playing HL2 lost coast at the weekend and I ran it at 1600x1200 on my big monitor, and after I did a stress test which came out as 56fps with the settings on high, I get 58fps on 1024x768.

Another example: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/page7.html

These would be more spread out with some 5ghz AMD processor. ;)

but the maximum performance of a videocard can easily be said to be a bottleneck. Maybe not to a processor directly, but a bottleneck nonetheless.
It's "restricting a game from playing maxed settings" perhaps, but that's not a bottleneck in terms of a system bottleneck. Technically.....even if you could max everything out, and I mean COMPLETELY maxed out on whatever the most intensive game out there is, you can always go further, for infinity......maybe this card will max out the game doing 100FPS, the other one can do 200FPS, etc..etc... it'd be never ending, so no I would not consider that a bottleneck.

My 7800gt is bottlenecked by my AMD 64 3000. If I increased the CPU speed then it would be quite a bit higher.
No it's not......they don't directly communicate, therefore it's not bottlenecking the card. "But if I had a better CPU my games FPS would be higher", well yeah, but that applies to anything. If they don't directly communicate with one another, then they can't possible bottleneck one or the other.

Your cards ability isn't being capped by your processor, the overall systems ability can only reach a certain point because of your processor, but that's because the CPU and GPU are doing two different things, not working together on the same thing. Your cards ability is the same regardless of the processor.

In the socket A days if you had a 400FSB CPU and only PC2100 RAM, then your CPU's abilities would be capped because of the RAM.....no such thing is happening between your card and CPU.

"Overkill" is a relative term when it comes to computers. Overkill last year is the norm this year.

That's because when the newest technology is released it's always overkill. Look at the X1900XTX, that's $550 and will run any game maxed out, but it's not needed. A 7800GT could play nearly any game maxed out at an average of 30-45FPS, which I think is definitely suitable for gaming. You can get a 7800GT for $275 ...

I want the option of having a processor that will handle multi-threaded apps, running photoshop, illustrator, flash and dreamweaver at once with no hiccups AND handle high end gaming without the hassle of O/C'ing. Does his mean I will not dabble in O/C'ing... no. Do I necessarily want to... also no. I vasilated between the FX-57 and the 60 for quite some time and in the end I wanted the dual core option. If I wasn't going to game at all and do NOTHING but content creation I may have opted for Intel's dual core option or an Opteron.

I also have a 25 year background in muscle cars (I own a 500 HP 1970 Z28) and the same idioms exist there as they do in the computer world... how fast you want to go directly correlates to how much money you are willing to spend. Nitrous Oxide became popular for those who chose not to spend the big money to go faster or still had the best of everything and still wanted more. Have I spent big money on my car, no. I would love to be able to run 10's on the street, but I am happy with low 12's.

O/C'ing is the nitrous of the computer world. To use the old hot rod adage.. I prefer my speed to be naturally aspirated. No gimmicks, no fuss.

I now have the option of running 10's with my new computer build.

So not wanting to O/C and wanting to buy the FX-60 neither makes me an idiot or excessively rich. Because I am neither.

To those of you who support MY choice and the choices of others, thank you.

And to Flanker, I don't appreciate being called an idiot and you certainly don't have the qualifications to assess my financial well being. So please refrain from giving your opinion on matters you have zero knowledge.

I want to build a new computer some time this year. Depending on my budget I might as well get an FX-60.
I will probably start with buying the best motherboard I can get and a cheap CPU so I can upgrade later.

gurusan said:
People who don't want to/don't know how to OC their 250-300 dollar CPU to those speeds pay that kind of money.

There are those of us that would prefer to be more resourceful. :)

I agree. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom