What is Happening to the mid-market?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
So all of this talk is going around about buy this now or wait for this. Theres atleast 7 threads I can think of off the top of my head. The conclusion reached on many of them are "just buy it now, before the price goes up" ....Whoah woah...WTF? Why is everything being discontinued and getting sold out? The opteron 939s, the 7800gts, etc etc etc. The prices are predicted to rise? What ever happened to the trustworthy obsoleteness slide in price that so many midlevel builders have banked on for years?

I'm about 70% sure that prices will go down. Why would prices rise? Computers get made obsolete so fast, it would be stupid if prices rose. Unless distributor's warehouses get bombed or something, but I dunno.

I hope you're right. If nVidia and AMD stop making their ace products and expect us to buy 450 dollar cards and cpus...they're making a big mistake.

I remember when I was fairly new here AMD announced a 'price move' on August 1. I thought the prices were going to drop. Turns out, each processor cost about 5-15 more than it did before. It doesn't always go down.

Ryan

When most hardware becomes obsolete, it will either briefly go down when it is "bleeding edge" and then when it is just plain old it will generally rise and become much more expensive than other newer products because it costs the company more to continue to produce older products

gaara said:
it will generally rise and become much more expensive than other newer products because it costs the company more to continue to produce older products

"or" the older product is no longer made and the retailers that still current have the older product now can jack up the prices when there is a high demand for a product that is no longer produced.

Pricing is all about SUPPLY and DEMAND.
9 times out of 10 the price increases are on the side of the retailers not the manufacturers. Manufacturers create, "MSRP" or manufacturers suggested retail price. This MSRP is designed to put an average price on a product to give an initial even playing field. Then as the market begings to evolve, retailers will tailor their prices according to the supply, demand, current state of the economy, wholesale costs and their competition.

A perfect example is the 7800GTX 512MB. A card that had a MSRP of $649.00. Which alone will make you choke on your milk. But, you must keep in mind that NVIDIA spends millions of dollars on research, development and manufacturing on these high-end cores. With that being said, "The first release of the 7800GTX 512MB, was very, very light... and most retailers were selling them at $699. After a few days, when the demand was high and the retailers now found they couldn't get more, the dmenad was at the ceiling and prices were from $749 to $899. Now that card can barely be found anywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom