FX-60...Overkill?

Would you put your keyboard through the dishwasher?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trifid said:
CPU's are a bottleneck in systems

um? no.

CPU's are not the bottleneck. CPU's are normally the fastest component in a PC.

BOTTLENECK = A portion of a system or network that is slower than the rest of the data path, either because of its throughput speed or because of multiple data streams converging at that point.

Bottleneck Components = #1 Software, #2 Hard Disk Drives

As for a FX-60 being overkill? - I don't think it's an overkill as it provides the best CPU performance available on the market in virtually every catagory. Expensive! Yes. And like others have mentioned... With a modest amount of overclocking you can turn a few under $500 cpu's in to an FX-60 for less then half the cost.

Flanker said:
Negatory. The High-End processors (FX-55,-57,-60) run very very hot as it is, and its generally not recommended, or possible, to overclock them. Its true that they give the highest ever overclocks, but thats under liquid nitrogen, dry ice, or VapoChill setups, nothing close to what air, or ever water, can achieve. You can maybe get an FX-60 to 2.8GHz before you start running out of degrees celcius , but you can do the same thing with an Opteron 165 or 170. Generally the overclock that you get with a extremely high-end processor can be duplicated by a much cheaper processor.

And if you're going to overclock a FX-60, why not overclock a lower processor also?

I don't believe in 'overkill'

There is no such thing as "too much power" in the computing world as far as I'm concerned....the only thing I consider 'overkill' is freakin quad SLI board that was made by gigabyte.....that whole idea is just ridiculous.

if it were me, I'd simply buy an opty and OC it like who was it...003 said in the beginning.........I guess if I was just stupid rich though I might buy the FX-60 just cause I could and OC the crap out of that and beat the snot out of you opty owners :p

What I hate is when people say "Graphic card is bottlenecking your system" :rolleyes: I don't even want to get into it, but technically it's impossible for a graphics card to 'bottleneck' the system..

"well if you have a Gf2 in an FX-60 machine it'd bottleneck it"

No, the graphics card just sucks and can't perform that well in it's department since the CPU and RAM don't directly communicate with the graphics card.

Bottlenecking only happen when two components have to directly communicate to each other and one is slower than the other....this was mainly a problem in the socket A days when someone had a 400FSB cpu but was only running say, PC2100 RAM for example..

In a videogame, a graphics card restricts your performance to the limits of the graphics card's maximum ability. Install a better videocard with higher limits, and you get greater performance. Its true that there is no hardware bottleneck with a videocard, but the maximum performance of a videocard can easily be said to be a bottleneck. Maybe not to a processor directly, but a bottleneck nonetheless.

Brtnboarder495 said:
If you can't OC that much to start with, what's the point of being able to unlock different multipliers?

Go with an Opteron 165.

uhh, your forgetting that air isn't the only form of cooling, if you get a serious form of cooling the multipliers make OCing easier and allows the CPU to reach some pretty **** high levels.

Umm I'd would never get an FX-60 no point becuase there is no differance much for gaming than My fx-57 and I could of waited a few months and got the fx-60 but I just Got the fx-57.In the begining I didnt get it for overclocking but I had too.I voted waste of money.

i agree with bryan on this one. if you have the money and you dont mind spending it then go right ahead! and in regards to not wanting to OC, i know several people who either do not want to or just dont know how. if you have that kind of money and in YOUR mind its the best buy then its a great purchase! it all comes down to each and everyone's opinions on what is a good buy and what isnt. who am i to tell anyone what to and what not to buy? to me, these forums are to help people build on their first thoughts. and thats exactly what i try to do: give suggestions and help them out. if bryan is still sure he wants to get the fx-60 at the end of this topic, then i say go right ahead and enjoy!

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom