copying data from one computer to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I have messed up my second computer(old computer), and i wanted to copy my files to my first computer. the second computer is/was ( :) ) a AMD K62-500 MHz based machine, i want to copy the files to a 2.8 GHz P4 based machine.

What i was wondering is can i just plug the drives from the K6-2 500 MHz machine into the new machine, and copy my precioussss data onto my new machine.

my precioussssssssss data :(

the two machines both have windows xp

If both the machines are on XP, you can do a couple of things. Hook them up on a LAN network and copy them over to the new computer. Or take the hd/d from the second machine and plug it into the old computer on the primary ide cable and set it as a slave and copy that way. Or you could also use Windows File and Settings transfer wizard, (you'll need the network working for this as well).

Or you could always burn the data to a cd or DVD disc......>>!!!!

yes just put the hard disk into the new computer. you might have to re-adjust your jumper in the back of the disk.

will do the IDE disk jumper thing job.
I have not been able to set up a network, i am trying to do that
I got a Thomson Speedtouch 510 ADSL modem with 4 ports, with both machines stuck into 2 of the ports.
is it possible to network like that?
some one on another thread suggested to check if it is a switch+router or just a router, dont know what a switch is?
or if my modem is a switch too

rookie1010 i looked up your model, this is it correct?: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q4/st510v4.asp

so apparently by the way you describe your hardware that you do have built in switch. most routers have built in switches. you have a special piece of hardware as it is a modem/router/switch built into the same box, usually a modem and router are 2 separate hardware components.

so to answer your question yes you have it correct, just run the network connection wizard in windows and you should be set to go. for type of connection select "other> this machine connects to a hub". it should say switch, but HUB is your only option with winxp

Yes in XP is really easy to setup a home network..just make sure your PC's workgroup are all labeled the same like HOME or some bs like that. It would be much quicker of a data transfer to set it up as a slave drive in the new PC and copy that data over that way.

do i need to set up a workgroup then?
i apologise for such basic questions, but i have never set up a network before?

since you are setting up a peer-to-peer network than yes you will be using a workgroup. make sure they all use the same workgroup name. just run that networking wizard i mentioned. it will guide you step-by-step

I started the New Connection Wizard, it says
Network Connection type
Connect to the Internet
Connect to the network at my workplace
Set up a home of small office network
Set up an advanced connection

which one should i go for.
In case i make a new connection, what happens to the existing connection i have to the ADSL modem?

Doesnt XP have a file transfer wizard? Pop in your XP disc and go look for "Tranfer Files". Im pretty sure you can do it thru that.

To get a network set up, choose the home/small office network. It wont interfere with ADSL at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom