Power Supply in Case Bundled VS POWER SUPLY ON ITS OWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikesgroovin said:
Also, a bundled case and p/s is less time consuming. The bundle will always be an exact fit. You don't have to struggle with making sure that the dimmensions will be correct.

-Mike

I can second that. My new case has a skinnier PSU. It's the normal form factor from the back panel. But as soon as you take off the side panel, the PSU is about 30% smaller in width.

One of these week end, I need to slap in a standard PSU so I can then work out when I can mount the side fan.

Call me dumb, but when some one says GOOD QUALITY POWER SUPPLY, what do they generally mean? And how do we find this information out?

Like I can under stand the watt. Most cases we sell come with a 300 Watt Power Supply. And I know a few people just have nothing more than just a sticker on them saying 400 Watts.

I can under stand that some of the other are silent. Like I have a Cooler Master PSU just so i can get to sleep at night.

I also understand that you have the fan on the back that some of the PSU suppliers give you a $#!+ fan, and the PSU sound like a jet engine 3 months down the track.

And finally there is the what the power supply is like when it get hit by a power spike. This is REALLY important as I have seen a power spike melt the DB15 connection of a vga card once.
Yes, the rest of the computer was f***ed.

Anyways, in the end, oout of 2 full size ship containers of Case with PSU, we have only had 13 come back with one problem or another with the power supply. So when it come down to giving power to the PC to the average user, what defines the PSU as good quality?

i think the basic thing to look for is stable rails, you don't want voltages fluctuating all over the place. but for me i use the rule of thumb of how much does the component cost compared to other stuff that is similair, in this case comparing PSU.

generally more expensive = better. i only use this estimate when i am not sure. also if the PSU is lightweight, it is el cheapo. if it weighs a ton, it's good...unless loaded with a ton of lead. and read up on customer reviews on newegg.

Well, after listening to the JET ENGINE of a PSU last night on SUPERSONICB!+C# (and disiding to sleep in the living room instead) while I was Bit Torrenting, I am prolly going to invest in a silent power supply for it.

I will be needing some thing that came operate in a sideway position. So that rules out the Cooler Master PSU.

do you know any fans which are fairly cheap and silent?

if i change the fan of my CPU...will i have to change the case as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom