DVD Drive Slows Computer Down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

In Runtime
My whole computer slwos down whenever my DVD drive is reading a disc. The computer is new, so I know the drive isn't worn out. I think there might be something physically obstructing it on the inside, slowing down my computer. Can anyone help me out?

it's probably using PIO mode. make sure it is set to dma.

go to computer management>device manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>select the channel where your drive is connected to>advanced settings tab

When you say that your computer slows down what do you mean exactly?
It is just your hard drive performing badly or your core system (cpu etc)?
I take it your harddrive is SATA? also which controller is the DVD attached to? Primary master?

Is it just that the DVD drive takes ages to access and you computer doesn't do much whilst waiting?

My HDD is SATA, yes. By 'slows down,' I mean that everything slows down. The mouse cursor, program windows, everything. The DVD is attached to the primary IDE controller.

Happen to my brother's computer, I just replace the DVD drive.

Well, things to check are the IDE cables, you can try to switch it for a known working one, make sure the power cord and IDE cable are securely plug in and that you have the IDE ends correctly plug into the DVD drive and the red line should be near the power plug and that there are no pin broken or bent.

Check Device manager, see if any IRQ conflicts or resource conflicts and maybe update your firmware if the manufactuer has any, and maybe check for viruses or spyware.

Sometime bad hardware can be shipped with new computer, shiet happens and all you can do is either replace it or get your money back.

Thank you! The drive is an HP 740b DVD+/- RW, but we have a DVD/CD-RW around, so it's not like I'm in serious trouble. We never burn DVDs anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom