BIOS freezing on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

transcend11

Solid State Member
My specs are in my signature. After I restart my computer, there are periods where my BIOS will freeze while it's loading immediately, where it's beginning to display processor, memory check, etc. Trying to get into the BIOS configurations doesn't prevent the freezing.

Once this freezing happens, I have to reset my CMOS jumper and remove the battery. This has happened about 3 times now, in the past 2 weeks, and seems to be increasing in frequency. This last time, even after removing the battery, it loaded with default settings and still froze-- except with a lot of weird character all over the screen. [See attachment] These freezings are only when I am booting up. I haven't crashed once in Windows, only restarting the computer.

What hardware is affecting this? Is it the motherboard? Or maybe a hard drive?

Thanks for any help, I am planning on upgrading soon but I don't want to spend money when I need something replaced.

Attachments

• biosfreezing-003.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 36
it is not the hard drive. it is possible that it is the motherboard but my guesses are cpu, ram, video card in that order of likeliness. video card is really an outside chance because normally you wouldn't get symptoms like this. the first thing i would test is the memory if i were you. either try some other memory or run memtest86. my main guess is that it is cpu related. whether it is cpu failure or overheating or something else os hard to say.

edit: i noticed that your cpu is overclocked. take it back to stock

My CPU has been overclocked for over a year I think, and only moderately so. I have seen people with my processor and stock cooling be at 200 FSB while I am at 185.

Is this symptoms of my CPU beginning to die? After I reset the CMOS and booted up with stock settings (including CPU speed) and I got the glitch showing in the picture, was it like that because the CPU had not cooled off enough? My temperatures never get high, the highest they get on full-load is 50ish.

Also, this problem only occurs on restarts... I never once get a computer crash or anything.

I'll try running Memtest.. I think I tried it a long time ago but was a little confused, what type of test do you recommend running?

Thanks!

Does your system clock run slow?

From your description this could be a fault with your CMOS battery, check its voltage if you can, clean the contacts. You may need to replace the battery with a new one.

Actually.... yeah... my clock does run slow recently!

Is that another indication of the battery? That would be great if this was a $1 fix! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom