question about Opteron

Status
Not open for further replies.

[SF]MKM

In Runtime
i planned to go with a AMD 64 3700+ san diego but most people here seem to say that the opteron is better if you overclock. i have never OCed myself so how much more speed can you get from lets say a opteron 148?

do you get more preformance for your money if you overclock?

does overclocking worn out your CPU faster than normally?

and where can i find technical information on the opetron? i have searched the AMD web site but the only things i found are some stiupid articles about how AMD has a vision to connect the people on earth...

overclocking make the warrenty be deleted, and will shorten the life span i dont know about performance

Well when you OC you are making your computer faster. So you are getting more performace for your money. You could make a $300 cpu perform as well as a $1000 cpu.

Also you just have to make sure you use a safe amount of volts and proper cooling and your CPU should last you as long as you will need.

Opertons are specially selected chips that use higher quality components so it is more suited to take heavy loads. That's why they cost a little more than their Athlon counterparts. They generally overclock further. A single core opteron will almost CERTAINLY get 2.6ghz, probably 2.8. A few of them go to 3ghz.

The main reason for overclocking is to get better performance from a less expensive processor.

It'll 'wear out' faster if you increase the voltage, but as long as you're reasonable about it, you shouldn't be doing any kind of noticeable damage.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom