FX-60...Overkill?

Would you put your keyboard through the dishwasher?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante_Caligari

In Runtime
Well, the newest AMD Powerhouse processor is out,
the FX-60.

What is it?
Picture an amped FX-57,
DUAL CORE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103608

Now when the FX-53 came out a couple years ago,
many people instantly deemed it "overkill"
and a waste of money.

So what do you think? Is the FX-60 a complete waste of money, or not?
I'd also like to hear about those who have a FX-60 setup, and have benchmarked or recorded the fps of some games;
post the numbers!

If your willing to spend big bucks for something that is overkill now why wouldn't you just wait till AM2 socket comes out so you can get one of their beastly CPUs and DDR2 RAM will be supported, not to mention it's upgradablity.

Besides a Opteron 165 can reach those speeds pretty easilly without having to spend $1k+.

The only real advantage the FX series has is it's unlockable multipliers which is useful for overclocking.

To me the FX/XE lines are just a waste of money. Just about everyone with a Opteron 165 is getting to 2.6Ghz, equal to a FX-60, and what, they're like $300 something.

Even an X2 4800 is $400 less than the FX-60 and it would only have to be OC'd 200Mhz to match the performance.

CPU's are a bottleneck in systems, until you get to really high resolutions, so no it isn't overkill. But it is a huge waste of money, that will not benefit nearly as much as it should for the price.

Idiotec, that cat is looking at me type. :eek:

Beefcake said:
If your willing to spend big bucks for something that is overkill now why wouldn't you just wait till AM2 socket comes out so you can get one of their beastly CPUs and DDR2 RAM will be supported, not to mention it's upgradablity.

Besides a Opteron 165 can reach those speeds pretty easilly without having to spend $1k+.

The only real advantage the FX series has is it's unlockable multipliers which is useful for overclocking.

I want the dual core (for Photoshop) and the best gaming CPU for this rig as in the future I may not be able to build what I am building now.

One point that people miss is that maybe someone doesn't want to overclock something to the n'th degree just because you can and still wants maximum performance (speed, multitasking, whatever) and besides I choose not to wait for AM2 to be stable as it would be a miracle the first GEN of anything to be perfect. So since I want to build my computer now and not in 6 months+ I am buying the FX-60.

As far as upgrading goes, I plan on using this comp for 3-4 years or longer. I am not a huge gamer but I do game. My present comp will be 3 years old this summer and still works like a charm. As long as I can run photoshop and such (I'm a graphic designer) and game fairly well (I can get 30-50 frames on Quake 4 with my 9700 pro with acceptable quality) in 2-3 years I will be happy. My previous comp I was getting 100fps in Quake 3 on a Voodoo5 and a AMD Thunderbird 900. It looked good but not top notch. I don't need monster quality to be happy, but this comp I will be able to do that.

My present comp ran me $2000 summer 2003 and this one will run me $4000, so what, it means nothing as long as I am happy, thats all that matters. Will I spend that on a comp in the future, who knows.

I do not need to buy the newest greatest thing that hits the market at the drop of a hat. If I waited to buy the NEXT BIG THING I would have never built my first computer.

I believe you should enjoy what you can afford at the moment. Right now I can afford this. I give anyone credit for building their own rigs at whatever cost. If you want to spend under a $1000 or over $5000 go for it, it's your choice.

bryan64 said:
One point that people miss is that maybe someone doesn't want to overclock something to the n'th degree just because you can and still wants maximum performance (speed, multitasking, whatever) and besides I choose not to wait for AM2 to be stable as it would be a miracle the first GEN of anything to be perfect. So since I want to build my computer now and not in 6 months+ I am buying the FX-60.

bryan64 said:
I believe you should enjoy what you can afford at the moment. Right now I can afford this. I give anyone credit for building their own rigs at whatever cost. If you want to spend under a $1000 or over $5000 go for it, it's your choice.

AGREED!!!!

Personally, I think it's a waste of money.

You can buy a dual core opteron for MUCH less and OC it to FX-60 speeds. Also....do opties have more cache than FX?

I voted waste of money. This is always true when you are talking about the top of the line newest product out.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom