Need Help, laptop is messed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortThrow

Baseband Member
Alright, I hope this is the appropriate section for this.

Anyways I use a compaq 2700T for a computer while I'm at school. It has XP with an athalon something or other. Everything worked fine for the most part until just recently.

The main prolblem began when my fan became insanely loud; so I was like wtf. My friend who works for geeksquad went through and cleaned everything out on it for me. Fan was still loud.
Then someone suggested that I download 'speedfan' to check my temperature readings. I did that. So now this morning was the first time I used it since last friday and it worked flawlessly for my first class. Then I turned it off, let it sit for a period, and then brought it back out to use during a break. Almost instantly the fan went berkerk and then the computer just shut off?!?!

So I tried rebooting and it did the same thing. Then I proceeded to boot in safemode, which allowed me to actually get onto the computer even though the fan was still loud as ****. I then opened up speedfan and my hard drive temp reading was satisfactory at about 30 degrees celsius, but what is listed on speedfan as 'temp1' which sublisted as ACPI or something close to that, anyways it was at 88 degrees celsius; which was obviously rediculous. I felt under the laptop to see if it was hot and it didn't even feel warm, I feel that maybe it is some bug that makes my computer feel like it's way hotter than it should be?

Also, when I first noticed the problem, the CPU usage would rocket up to 100% from about 3-5%, I tried going into msconfig and disabling all non microsoft programs for startup ect. and still was at %100, so when I looked at programs that were running and added up the cpu usage points it didnt even total 50 even though the actual CPU Usage reading was at 100%.

As of now I can't get onto the computer without being in safe mode, so I can't download any more spyware programs ect.

Please help, I need it desperately.:(

You can boot into safemode with networking, and I'm sure you'll be able to access the internet and download any AV or anti-spyware program.

This might not work for you but has for me, you can check your BIOS setting to see if there are any fan control feature or tempeture control feature there. My BIOS for instance has the ability to shutdown the computer if it gets past a certain degree or if the fan fails.

Usually this type of behavior is due to overheating or as I specify above the BIOS feature. Also make sure you check for viruses.

Tell me how it goes.

I have found that this is common with my model, it seem that the heatsink or some part of it has come apart, so I jsut have to open her up and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom