dell windows 98 needs windows 2000 wont let me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingTeddiz

Baseband Member
ok i have a old used dell with windows 98 on it, well it was on it but i reformated the harddrive so it has nothing on it now, i tryed to install windows 2000 but it crashes to the "blue" screen on its first reboot after i instal it. It instals fine but when it has to reboot it crashes on me.

does any one know whats going on, is it the dell?? or just that the 98 bios wont accept the 2000 version.

Well if it is that old i wouldnt try to put 2000 on it in the first place, probobly a problem with the ram and hard drive capacity. give me the specs.

well i cant cause i dont know the specs my mom found it in a computer barn or something. but ill try to add some old ram cards and maybe a small hd or somthing that we have liying around,

but if any one else knows of any other reasons tell me.

Try and find out as much as you can about the hardware in the PC. Then goto microsoft's website and take a gander at the Windows 2000 Hardware Compatability List and see if your system can run Win2k.

-Mike

I have seen some name brand PCs (Compaq, GateWay, E-machine) where they will only take the OS that came with it. And there is nothing you can do about changing it.

In some cases, it will only take the Win 98 disk that came along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom