Opteron 165 vs 170

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord AnthraX

Fully Optimized
Ok I know there is a huge price diffrent and the speeds is only .2 GHz but would it be better to get that extra .2, becuase I heard some 165 dont overclock well and some do, Im just not sure......please make me sure...Im about to buy all the parts right now just debating between 165 and 170..

165s are great overclockers, but a 170 will always overclock just a little bit higher. You're guaranteed 2.6GHz with a 165, and you're guaranteed a 2.8GHz with a 170.

165s are great overclockers, but a 170 will always overclock just a little bit higher. You're guaranteed 2.6GHz with a 165, and you're guaranteed a 2.8GHz with a 170.

I've heard 165's tend to be the best dual core Opterons when it comes to OCing. And for $100 more, 200mhz really isn't worth it.

For $100 more though? Idk, I'd say dual core 2.7ghz is still quite powerful. I guess it depends on how much money you got to deal with though and whether or not you want to OC in the first place.

I'm still debating with myself to get a Opteron 165, a X2 3800+, or a X2 4400+. It's just that I never overclocked a CPU before and I don't want to buy a 330 dollar cpu and not have it overclock right. But I'm always paranoid of things not working. I do have a DFI Lanpary mobo though so it should overclock fine on that. How far can you normally go on stock heatsink and AS5?

If I can hit 2.4 or 2.6GHz I'm happy with that, FX-60 speeds are fine for me lol.

If I do go down the Opteron route I am going to get a Zalmann heatsink as well as good OCing RAM. What is good OCing RAM that is 2GB?

Flanker said:
There are no guarantees about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom