Ist AMD Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
I have built a huge number of Intel systems. I am building a purely gaming oriented PC for my son. I have everything but the Mobo and CPU. I'm not going to be investing a huge amount of money. I have a Nvidia 6800GT PCIe card. Is a Venice core 3200+ a reasonable starter CPU? he wants to OC this CPU, 6800gt and Corsair DDR400 mem (I gig in DC). I would expect a 5500+ score on 3Dmark05?

Edit: Opps: mobo is ASUS A8N-E. No Sli is beng considered yet.

I'm not to familiar with how certain setups land certain scores in 3Dmark05, but a 6800GT is a very solid card ... if you already have it. If you were to chose between the 6800GS and 6800GT if you were buying I'd obviously reccomend the 6800GS as it's $100 less for the same performance. But nevertheless, very solid card.

The 3200+ Venice is a very solid CPU and will easily OC to 3500+ speeds. But I'd really suggest aiming for the Opteron 144 or 146, as those will OC like crazy! (you said he wanted to OC ;)).

The memory you suggested, if it's just Corsair and not Corsair XMS chances are it's not the best at OCing, but it should suffice. Be more specific about it's stats though and either other members or I can help you out.

Maybe an Opty 144 would be a good pick? It'll probably overclock further, and it has a 1mb L2 cache. It's just an idea. The 3200 is a great CPU. Don't get me wrong. If I did it again though, I would've gotten the Opteron 144 or 146.

Ryan

Standard case with 550WT Codegen PSU, Dual 150 gig WD Sata in RAID 0), I already have the 6800AGT Pcie card from eVGA, sound blaster audigy Platium and Benq 16x DVD Dual layer burner. These are all stock parts from my shop. i just have never delt with AMD so I'm a Virgin! MY son inssts on a AMD even though I have a Socket 775 Intel and 3.0 ghz Prescott and Intel 945 chipset baord already laying around (1x 16x PCIe slot mobo).

Standard case with 550WT Codegen PSU, Dual 150 gig WD Sata in RAID 0), I already have the 6800AGT Pcie card from eVGA, sound blaster audigy Platium and Benq 16x DVD Dual layer burner. These are all stock parts from my shop. i just have never delt with AMD so I'm a Virgin! MY son inssts on a AMD even though I have a Socket 775 Intel and 3.0 ghz Prescott and Intel 945 chipset baord already laying around (1x 16x PCIe slot mobo).

**** that's still a nice system, I can't believe he won't take that though ... he's lucky to have any decent gaming system anyway.

You son is correct if his intentions are purely gaming. I've also built tons of intel systems and none of them except my own current system are for gaming. (I've got all my gaming system componets, I'm just waiting on the 7900GTX) <--- Don't care about 8000 series cards so don't bother.

Anyway... It doesn't matter what prescott you have, the simple fact is that they just aren't as good as the AMD versions in similar specs. I've got a 3.4EEGhz pressy... and in game benchmarks it can barely keep up with the AMD 3200+...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom