C: D: E: and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwert

In Runtime
Currently my hard drive is set at H: and I have 4 non existant drives taking up C, D, E, and F, and a DVD Drive as G. How do I change the letter on them? I'm trying to patch a game and it won't work because of the letter of the drive I think (It doesn't see the game there)

if you're running xp right click on yout computer icon then click manage. Select the disk management tool under storage and just right click on your drive to change letter.

When I go there I get the error: Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume.

how did you manage to end up at this position btw? are these other 'drives' partitions or emulation soft?

I bought the computer built, later a hard drive failed and I had to send it in to get them to fix it. I don't know what they are, if you tell me how to find out what they are then I can tell you. Please don't give up on me on this I really got to get this fixxed.

Qwert said:
When I go there I get the error: Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume.
you cannot change the drive letter where your boot files reside (drive C) and system files (which ever drive u installed your os)

in usual windows logic its the other way round actually! not that it makes any difference but the 'system' files are the files like ntldr that boots windows (this must be drive C: (primary active partition) so you should see these there, you may need to unhide them, the 'boot' files will be on what ever drive your OS is installed to (H: in your case?)).

Anyway if you look in the disk management tool you ought to be able to see if your hard drive has been partitioned, there will be blocks with light blue bars at top next to the disk0 (or whatever), one block indicates the drive isn't partitioned where as segmented blocks indicate partitions and each partition will have its own drive letter (and appear as a seperate hard drive in explorer).

can you tell me the size of each partition and confirm that your system files are on C: ? (i'd be very surprised if they're not).

however, having your OS (or game) on a drive other than C: should not cause any problem with computer games (unless you're tallking very old games here). I'm guessing they did something funny when they 'repaired' your drive because if your OS was on C: before your sent it to them there is no reason is shouldn't still be when you got it back. Perhaps there are erroneous registry enteries that still point to C: .

What game are you patching may I ask?

MrCoffee said:
in usual windows logic its the other way round actually! not that it makes any difference but the 'system' files are the files like ntldr that boots windows (this must be drive C: (primary active partition) so you should see these there, you may need to unhide them, the 'boot' files will be on what ever drive your OS is installed to (H: in your case?)).
hehe...i always get them mixed up cuz it's actually confusing which one is which

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom