help with new memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

matejakezman

Baseband Member
1. i installed 2*256 DDR in my computer, i already had 512 MB.
when i started computer, i noticed ATI drivers were unistalled, so i let windows install them again.
it installed some wrong drivers.
after few minutes i got blue screen of dead that ati is caused some error.
after that computer restarted by itself.
i take out memory and install new drivers. and now computer works for more than hour.
ahy did i get blue screen?:(

2. windwos did not recognized 2*256 of RAM. Everest hoever displayed it, but it was still 512 MB of old memory, what is wrong?

My motherboard is
gigabyte 7vt600p
old memory is transcdent

new i kingston

I guess everest is reading the SPD from the DIMM slots. Does your bios recognise the new ram? I.e. does it show 1gb of ram at POST when it does the moemory check?

if the bios doesnt recognise that the ram is installed then either you are using incorrect ram or you have arranged the DIMMs incorrectly in the slots.

Does your chipset show 3 or four dimm slots in Everest (assuming there are 4 on your board). do you have dual channel ?

Also are the new and old ram sticks single or double sided? i.e. do they have chips on both sides or just one?
Taking a stab in the dark.. if you have 2 double sided sticks and 2 single sided sticks make sure that the single sided sticks are in DIMM slots 3 & 4, that may seem counterintintuitive for dual channel but try it.

no bios is not recognaising rams. only old one. old one is double sided.(rams on both sides)
i have 3 dimms slots on my motherbioard and everest shows them all.
memory is dual channel but im not sure if my mother board support it(it gigabyte 7vt600p).

what coud be wrong?

and how it is possibile that driveers of graphic card gone after inserting new RAM, and why have i got blue screen of dead when wrong drivers were installed:(

no dual channel, so that rules out the problem I was thinking of.

can you post the details of your new ram sticks? the details from everest.

thinking about it Gigabyte mobos are a bit problematic with ram, I remember now that my mobo would not recognise kingston ram with the original bios. so I suggest you flash your BIOS to the latest version... make sure you use the correct flash or your mobo could be ruined!!!

some motherboards stated in their manual that memory cound not fill just three slots. try do two of the slot and leave one memory out.

wxt38 said:
some motherboards stated in their manual that memory cound not fill just three slots. try do two of the slot and leave one memory out.

I dont think this is the case as this mobo has only three slots. this is sort of where I was going with the single/double sided thing... Some chipsets combine two singlesided dimms to simulate a single double sided stick. however I have looked at the manual for this mobo and it mentions no special restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom