Serious Motherboard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nylax4

Baseband Member
I have a pretty crappy setup right now. I Decided I like my processor, the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2ghz. It's a little old but I decided instead of buying some crappy video card because the mobo it came with only supports pci. So what I want to do is get a new mobo then when the new video cards start coming out maybe pick up the 6800gs for a good price and maybe 2gb of ram. The problem is the processor is socket A, do any socket A supported mobo's support pci-e?

Newegg doesn't supply them. Anybody else with info on this or even a store that sells what I'm looking for.

No, PCIe is only on K8 motherboards, (754,939). You can get a 6800GS in the AGP flavor. That computer will still last a while. If you wanted to, you could spring for the 7800GS.

Ryan

Dont buy a 6800 or 7800 agp video card. If you are going to spend that much money on a video card, make sure you get all the performance its worth. Agp limits the ability of newer powerfull video cards. Just spend $75 and buy a motherboard that supports pci-e so that you can get the full potential out of your video card if your going to spend that much on one.

Dont buy a 6800 or 7800 agp video card. If you are going to spend that much money on a video card, make sure you get all the performance its worth. Agp limits the ability of newer powerfull video cards. Just spend $75 and buy a motherboard that supports pci-e so that you can get the full potential out of your video card if your going to spend that much on one.

Yea buy a PCI-e motherboard for $100 or so and then buy a low end gaming card like the 6600GT. While it's not that great of a video card, it's quite solid and at least it'll leave your motherboard future proof for when you can spend more on a better video card.

If you can, spend the extra $25-50 and buy a 6800GS in the PCI-e flavour.

AGP is on the way out, so are socket As. Socket A mainboards do not support PCI-E. My advice would be to get a cheap(upgrade later) socket 939 CPU, and new mainboard with a PCI-E x16 slot. and use your current vid card,until you can get a nice PCI-E card. there are a few 939 mainboards that will support AGP and PCI-E.

Definately, invest in PCIe, even if you have to buy a entry level processor or video card to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom