Creating floppy boot disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have created the startup disk and it works, thanks! I still would like to create a bootdisk on my son's pc and have it boot the pc I am working on to see if it works both just for the knowledge and also for future use if I should ever need it, if I let this and other future difficult problems slip by without getting the experience to fix them, how will I ever truly learn to battle tough problems? Can you or anyone else help me get this done please? If so, how do I proceed with this?

I'm not entirely sure I follow you.

Recovery disks are a sort of boot disk set that can restore much more than boot files as you can with a normal boot disk but recovery disks are unique to each PC. A standard boot disk however an be used on any PC (except a win98 boot disk cant read NTFS of course).

also the startup disk Win98 creates isnt really what i'd call a boot disk. It only loads windows for you, where as a traditional boot disk will load a command prompt and will not access the harddrive at all.

are you asking how to create recovery disks? I strongly sugest you dont use recovery disks to boot another PC and anyway I dont think Win98 has this ability but windows XP does, perhaps this is where the confusing is arising, not many people use win98 these days.

I was under the impression that some startup disks are "also" boot disks. I think you put it best though

"where as a traditional boot disk will load a command prompt and will not access the harddrive at all."

Yes, this is what I wish to do, to create a floppy boot disk on my son's pc which has win2000 and have it boot the pc I am working on which has win98 just by loading and executing a command prompt and not accessing the hard drive in any way, can I do this? If so, how please?

not without cheating.

I think windows 2000/XP don't have the capacity to create boot disks as there is no command prompt independant of the OS (unlike Win98 which is acutaly a DOS shell), the necessary files for this are far to big to fit on a floppy disk.

all you could do from windows 2000 is use a third party boot disk, like the one you got from bootdisk.com, to create a win98 bootdisk and use that.

well, this is exactly what I am trying to do, I think, but you see the problem I am getting with the BOT file, any fixes to my problem?

see if you can find Boot98sc.exe on bootdisk.com if not I can email it to you.
this is a program which creates a bootdisk for you.

Edit: in fact there are several versions of that file, the one I use is a winimage self extractor that is 891 KB. you may need winimage to use that, not sure. the others will just extract to your default folder, probably what the one you have is doing.

Mr.Coffee, you da man!! Thank you very much for the help and you too Trifid, I can't believe that I have been suffering with this issue for 2 weeks and this solution was so simple! Well, this is exactly why I ask around on a few different forums as you never know who may come up with something.

Ok, next issue please, this time concerning un-partitioning, some funny stuff going on here. When I go into "My computer", I see 5 drives, A, C, D, E and F with F being the cd-rom so this suggests to me that the drive had to have been partitioned into 3 parts but when I use the fdisk I see only 2 partitions, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom