Windows XP reinstall question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonS

Baseband Member
My HP computer came with Windows 98se installed. Later I upgraded it to Win XP and have downloaded all the updates including service pack2. These days the computer is running very slow and since I have a new computer, I would like to dump most of the stuff on it and reinstall windows. The problem is that when I put the disk in, I get the message that the version on the computer is newer and it won't continue. I noticed that on the add-remove programs in control panel lists the service pack. Should I remove the service pack and try to reinstall widows or is there a better way?

you need to boot from the cd to reinstall correctly. Just make sure your bios is set to do that, which most are by default, press any key when it tells you so and then follow the prompts

If you wish to simply re-install windows without saving anything... I would recommend Boot and Nuke This app will wipe out your disk. If you wish, you can uninstall the SP2 and reinstall that way. You should be booting to the disk instead of running the disk while in windows.

Thanks for your replies!
If I totally wipe the hard drive clean, will I be able to install XP using just the XP upgrade disk? I have read that it is actually a complete version, not I don't know.

If you only have an "Upgrade" disk, then I wouldn't wipe the drive with the boot and nuke. I would uninstall the SP2 then boot to the xp disk that you have. That will be the safest way.

I do have a full XP, but I used it when I built the new computer. Can I use the full one and then use the key from the upgrade version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom