First time builder graphics/multimedia machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvstar99

Solid State Member
Hi:)

I'm a first time builder and newbie to the forum. I'm looking to build a machine mainly for photoshopping, video editing, burning dvds, and the occasionnaly game playing. Possibly a machine I can easily overclock a little. This is what I have in mind.

- dual core processor (haven't decided weather to go amd or intel?)
- at least 2 gigs of ram for graphics work
- dual dvi video card (i have 2 dell 1905fp lcds)
- usb 2.0 (my only machine is usb 1.0
- dvd burner dual layer
- firewire connection for video editing
- nice modern case
- lights to show off my new machine
- must be quiet too

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My budget is around $1300. Thanks.

AMD dual cores are very good at everything, look into the opteron 165/170 and 175 series.

2 gigabytes of ram, anymore will decrease performance, PC3200 for AMD.

This GPU will work well in your occasional games: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130250

An ASUS A8N series motherboard (excluding the SE) or a DFI lanparty or a MSI K8N neo 4 motherboard.

A case you like.

A Antec 550w, Enermax, or a Seasonic PSU are all good manufactueres.

USB 2.0 is standard nowa'days.

UV lights look great with UV cables, and looks very modern. Otherwise a colour of your choice.

Antec and Thermaltake make very quiet cases. I used a Antec Piano Sonate II case it and was so quiet.

A good heatsink to keep the CPU cool with quiet fans. (all copper ones are the best.)

A IDE DVD burner.

Go for a Seagate SATA hdd. Alot of people recomend Western Digital, but I was shocked at the poor build quality of them, that others say is the same on theirs.

Have a look on www.newegg.com and chose out componets your self. (I get tired of picking out the same components, and how will you learn from me saying 'get this' it adds individuality to your PC.)

Do you have any ideas? Most people around here dont want to just build a computer for every noob that asks this same question.

I have a few processors in mind.

Intel Pentium D 830 3.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / Socket 775 / Dual-Core / Processor with Fan
$290

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Dual-Core (Manchester) / Processor with Fan
$330

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Dual-Core / Processor with Fan
$400

Found this motherboard. There is probably something just as good and cheaper.
Motherboard
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=866224&Tab=11&NoMapp=0
$124.99

You will have the problem that non of the above CPU's will fit in the socket. Also go with a PCIE board, as that is the future socket for GPU's (Until the next one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom