quick USB - USB2 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
My dad bought a USB2 mem card reader, and a USB2 cable to connect an Epson usb(1) printer. He was clueless and just got the best deals, not knowing there were 2 types of USB. Will either of these work with a USB1.1 card? I can't remember if USB2 cables work, just at 1.1 speed. I'm pretty sure the card reader won't work since it's USB2, but am not sure about the printer w/ cable. Could someone help me out? He's heading back to return, and wanted to know what to keep/exchange.

Thanks!

Anything usb 2.0 will work with a usb 1.1 slot or card. usb 2.0 is backwards compatable. It is going to run at usb 1.1 though when you plug it in, so you just spent a few extra bucks on something fancy right now, but it should be worth it in the future if you get a usb 2.0 controller or a new motherboard.

all usb2 connectors/connections/hubs/cables are backwards compatable with usb 1.1 which is the beauty of it

USB verson 1 allows for two speeds, 1.5Mb per second and 12Mb per second . Verson 2 (High-Speed USB)allows for up to 480 Mb per second . So you can see the big different between both versons. 40 times faster than orginal USB.
However, high speed USB is backward compatible with slower devices , it only run the slow speed . If your motherboard or OS only can suppoert USB1 , then you have not much choice unless you are going to upgrade your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom