3800+ Oc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
Hey dudes-

So I whent through my SECOND Gigabyte K8N trition in a matter for 4 months with no overclocking at all.

It all started awhile back when my FPS in all my games when down the pooper. I mean, a 7800GT, X2 3800+ only running 30FPS tops on UT2004, come on. Some of you may remember me posting about it and wondering what could of caused it. I tried various video drivers, re formatted my hard drive a couple times, and even tried a buddy's a video card in place of mine, and still no luck.

So I deiced it was time to move on. The store I whent to didn't have any DFI's in. So I decided to try a differnent mobo myself. I bought the ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe. I'm quite please with it. I like how spread out the DIMM slots are. And how far apart the PCI x16 slots are also.

Anyway, i'm happy to say that i'm running UT2004 never under 110FPS, its very nice.

Anyway, I OC'd the X2 3800+ to 2.55GHZ. But the multiplier is locked at 10x. I tried reading through that thread about the X2 3800 OC's but I could find anyone that got any higher then that.

I tried 2.58 but it wasn't stable for some reason.

Anyone with the same mobo and cpu or a similar machine run anything around 2.55GHZ or higher?

the higher the clock speed normally the higher the voltage required to keep the cpu stable. as karpfish started to point out though the higher the voltage the higher the heat output which means better cooling is required. run memtest86 if your ram is not on a divider (i.e. ram is overclocking with cpu) to test if the memory is stable. in probably more than 3/4 unstable overclocks i see the cause is actually the memory not the cpu.

Oh I see, thanks for the input. Yea, I think i'll try 2.6 at 1.55 tonight when I get home. I mean, at this very second, the CPU is running at 29 C. And as far as I know that's not bad. That's because I have a gigabyte 3D rocket pro with 6 fans. I haven't tested it under load yet but. But at stock speeds it never whent above 34C.

And i'll definetly run memtest tonight also.

Ha seriously, with this new mobo, because of how the last 2 ones have been, it feels like I have an all new computer

I mean, with that old mobo, just to show how messed up it was, I scored 1800-ish in 3Dmark 06. And now with the new one that actually works, and the OC on the vid card and CPU, I got 4500.

anyways, thanks for the input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom