XFX 6800 GS and XtremeMusic Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

persianxballer

In Runtime
I just put together a computer for a friend and I got him a XFX 6800 GS XXX Edition PCI-E video card. The fan is really loud, so I put arctic silver 5 on the stock heatsink and I was hoping to take the fan off completely. The temps right now with the fan are 38 C (I dont know under load because I just built it). Do you think disabling the fan is a bad idea?

On a side note, I got him a Creative Xi-Fi XtremeMusic and I installed the software and drivers, but only two of the speakers will play. What could be wrong? Thanks in advance.

In your creative drivers, there should be speaker settings and you can set it to 2.1/3.1/4.1/4.0/5.1/etc.

As for taking the fan off, that wont be a very good idea, unless you get a specific heatsink that is meant for without a fan.

Buy a new heatsink that is quieter like a zalman or something :)

If I were to take the fan off and the temps were to stay under 60 C, would that be alright? What temps are not ok for this video card? and thanks for the response pzerofgh

When you say 'take the fan off', you don't mean removing the entire thing, do you? That is not a good idea at all. In fact, it's really not wise to take the fan off... You need to get an aftermarket heatsink unless you want a very hot and disfunctional chip.

Ryan

persianxballer said:
Can I change the speed of the fan on the stock heatsink/fan then?

Are you sure it's the vid card?

I have the exact same card and I can't hear it at all over my stock 3200+ Venice heatsink/fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom