AMD X2 3800 vs a P4 3.2ghz, big performance difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello all, about to start building a new PC. My current CPU is an Intel P4 3.2e ghz Prescott CPU. I'm going to go with the AMD X2 3800 CPU in the build and was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of improvements in speed I can expect to see? Or is dual core currently not going to give any tremendous boost in speed until more applications support it? I run several apps, but this machine will primarily be used for gaming. I know the AMD chip will be A LOT cooler, so that will be nice. Any other info on comparisons would be appreciated.

Well, AMD is way better for gaming, so if you're mostly going to be gaming, go with the 3800x2. you might want to wait for AM2 though, it will be more future proof - charlie

I did read a bit on the AM2. Due out in June/July right? I haven't found much information on it other then the fact it supports DDR2 memory. Is that such a big deal? Really, I don't mind waiting, I just don't know much about AM2 now besides the DDR2 support and more L2 cache, like 2mbs or more I think. Shrug.

Is it true dual core has alot of issues running certain games? One of the review sites for the X2 3800 someone said it's not backward compatible at all and even fix patches for some current games aren't working correctly. I'm guessing it's something to do with timing. Shrug. I'd love to do dual core, but I do tend to go back and play older games from time to time, so is single core the way to go?

to my knowledge it is only on game that glitches black and white 2 but besides that dual core it the way to go

Well, AMD is way better for gaming, so if you're mostly going to be gaming, go with the 3800x2. you might want to wait for AM2 though, it will be more future proof - charlie

or even better, wait until intel and AMD merge in 2016 when they plan on releasing the uberest processor ever

As long as there won't be any serious game issues with Dual Core I think I'll pick up the X2 3800. I'd just hate to install a game and it not work because of the dual core. And I do have a tendency to play some old games.

The AMD is like a p4 3.8ghz. That p4 3.2ghz is nothing compared to the AMD X2 3800+. Get the X2.

not quite. the x2 3800+ is 2x3200+ venice cores so is effectively double the processing power of the p4, although d amn right the p4 is nothing in comparison. the 3800+ rating comes from the particular benchmarks they used which barely take advantage of the second core whatsoever. in a game the main performance boost for the time being will come from the second core being able to take care of anything running in the background and stop it from interfering with the game. generally problems in games come from it trying to run on both cores and just setting it to run on one will fix the problem

Dual core is nowhere near its potential yet... Once it becomes more mainstream in applications released, I am sure we will see considerable performance gains from the same hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom