Upgrading a HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darb 2k

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I will be upgrading my HD pretty quick and wanted to get a couple opinions. Right now i have a 120G Maxtor ATA100 and it makes noise when being accessed. Now that i have a fairly newer computer now, I can get a SATA HD.

Ive narrowed my search down to a Western Digital Caviar SE16, 250GB, SATA2, 7200RPM, 16MB, 8.9MS.

Currently on my Maxtor i have 3 partitions, 2 windows and one linux, and its managed by GRUB.

So my questions is, can i transfer everything over to the new HD and keep how everything is?

Thanks

Also, any comments on the WD?

Have a look into getting Norton Ghost.

Ghost takes a 'snapshot' of your current hard drive and copies it bit for bit onto your new one. You can then partition your extra free space:D

I know what ghost is and imaging, i actually use Acronis, but if i move it over, will i still be able to dual boot?

why not two 160's and make it RAid.. if u're comp can do that... i heard thats Really good.. i could be wrong

when you buy a brand new harddrive it comes with a program to transfer files, and it will copy your current drive exactly the way it is to the new one, so yea you can keep everything exactly how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom