$1,000 budget... So many options... what to buy?! me = nub

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneArmedScissor

In Runtime
I've been browsing these forums for awhile, gaining knowledge here and there, etc. But my current computer is completely dead and I need to buy a new one. Firstly, my budget is $1,000.

Parts I have:
2 DVD-RW drives
200GB Hard drive
Audigy 2 7.1 ZS(?) sound card

Parts I need:
Processor
Motherboard
PSU
Case
RAM
Video Card
Windows XP (home or pro?)

My ideas thus far:
AMD X2 4200+
6800 GS
1GB RAM

and the rest of the stuff... Not sure on really at all. Granted, I'd like to have a nifty looking case, but it's not big deal if I got an ugly looking one. I've pretty much decided I want a dual processor. But I'd like some input from you guys.
This system would be for everyday use and lots of gaming. I'm a poor college student on a tight budget, so please try not to go over $1,000.
Thanks in advance!

PS- What do you guys think about IbuyPower and CyberPower?

Go for Newegg with anything u need.

CPU - due to your budget you may not be able to go for dual core. But if you can, get the Opteron 165. If not, then an AMD athlon 64 SD 3700+

RAM - get 2x512MB Corsair value select. for your budget.

Windows XP home is al you need. unless you want to do really advanced networking.

Duno wat case you should get.

A EVGA 6800GS is what you should get.

Flanker said:
Motherboard - MSI K8N Neo4-F - $80.

Processor - AMD Opteron 165 - $328.

Memory - Patriot Signature 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR400 - $151.

Videocard - eVGA GeForce 7800GT - $285

Case - XION cool-looking nice-quality case - $64.

PSU - Forton 450W - $50.

Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home - $100.

$1058 I believe.

I was really hoping to get a X2 procressor. Either a 4200+ or 4400+.
I don't plan on over clocking, and if i do, it won't be much at all... So I'd prefer to get value RAM.
I know that video card is pretty awesome and all, but I was thinking the 6800GS would be fine til the 8Ks come out.
I like the case... But why would I need to buy a new PSU when the case comes stock with a pretty decent one?
That mobo is nice as well... but is it compatible with the X2 processors?
What would be a quality mobo for X2 processors that's a $100 or less?

Thanks abunch!

One armed I don't know if you already got what you need or your still looking but I have some pertty good deals on a case keyboard mouse power supply combo and on some building essentials like nylon ties, case fans, and thermal compund. Stop by my shop just click on the logo. hope it helps you out a bit.

~Ronin~

OneArmedScissor said:
I was really hoping to get a X2 procressor. Either a 4200+ or 4400+.
I don't plan on over clocking, and if i do, it won't be much at all... So I'd prefer to get value RAM.
I know that video card is pretty awesome and all, but I was thinking the 6800GS would be fine til the 8Ks come out.
I like the case... But why would I need to buy a new PSU when the case comes stock with a pretty decent one?
That mobo is nice as well... but is it compatible with the X2 processors?
What would be a quality mobo for X2 processors that's a $100 or less?

Thanks abunch!

The Opteron 165 is a Dual Core processor, identical to a Athlon 64 X2.

Not overclocking? Are you crazy? The Opteron is made for overclocking. And these days, you're wasting your money if you don't overclock. An Opteron 165 will get to 2.6GHz guaranteed, thats FX-60-like performance with a relatively easy overclock.

The Patriot Signature Series is $3 more than the cheapest pair of 2GB Corsair ValueSelect memory. I was originally going to go for the Corsair, but this was $3 more so I thought, "Hey, why not." Besides, it looks cooler.

Do whatever you want about the videocard, I don't really care about that. But since you CAN get a 7800GT and still not be too far above your budget, it seems like a good idea.

PSUs that comes with the case absolutely suck ***. You always need to buy a new PSU or you can say bye bye to your system in less than a month.

The motherboard is excellent and is compatible with all Socket 939 processors.

Do flankers build you're gonna be very a simple 400mhz will get you to the speed of a x2 4400+, so you're saving $150 right there, do what you want but if you dont to flankers build, your not all that smart.

Flanker said:
The Opteron 165 is a Dual Core processor, identical to a Athlon 64 X2.

Not overclocking? Are you crazy? The Opteron is made for overclocking. And these days, you're wasting your money if you don't overclock. An Opteron 165 will get to 2.6GHz guaranteed, thats FX-60-like performance with a relatively easy overclock.

The Patriot Signature Series is $3 more than the cheapest pair of 2GB Corsair ValueSelect memory. I was originally going to go for the Corsair, but this was $3 more so I thought, "Hey, why not." Besides, it looks cooler.

Do whatever you want about the videocard, I don't really care about that. But since you CAN get a 7800GT and still not be too far above your budget, it seems like a good idea.

PSUs that comes with the case absolutely suck ***. You always need to buy a new PSU or you can say bye bye to your system in less than a month.

The motherboard is excellent and is compatible with all Socket 939 processors.
Hate to be a TWiT, but, X2 isnt identical to Opteron, Opteron is made with higher quality silicon :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom