Having problems installing software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

Solid State Member
Hi, I have a problem with installing software. I am running windowsXP Pro. I just reformatted and installed windows. Originally my drive was Fat32, but i converted to NTFS, and then installed windowsXP. I used this command: "fromat c: /fs:ntfs", without the quates of course, to format and convert to NTFS. I am all up to date with my critical updates for windows. So as i started reinstalling all my programs, i noticed that I couldn't see the programs install. I would get the first couple of screens that give you the install options for the sofware, but as the install would get going, the install would disappear as if it were minimized, but there was no sign of any windows showing something was being installed. There was nothing in the toolbar or systray to show anyting was minimized. The only thing you could see was that the computer was working by the hard drive light blinking. So you knew something was happening. Even when the install would finish, i didn't always get any notice that the install finished. Couple of times I did get confirmations that the install was done, but other I didn't. I just waited for the hard drive light to stop blinking to guess that the install was done. Now I have just tried to install MS Streets and Trips 2006, and it starts to install as explained above, but in the middle of installing, it just stops installing all together. Anyone have any clue on what might be happening. I've never seen or heard of anything like this. BTW, I am running WinXP Pro as mentioned, as well as 1GB of RAM, Athlon 1.1 Ghz Processor, 400W Power supply. Thanks.

(First note, 1 GB RAM for a 1.1 Ghz Anthlong, waste of money in RAM)

Okay, have you been able to run these programs? Do you have the actuall program files? Have you checked anything?

-Steve

Oh yes, the programs have been installed, and so far seem to work. The only thing is, it seems to be getting worse. Because MS Streets and Trips stops installing in the middle of the install. I watch the program files folder as it installs. Because nothing else can be seen as it is installing. Then out of nowhere, the install stops, and the MS streets and trips install folder disappears. I have had this program installed with no problem before my reformat. I have never had a problem like this. No just to let you know, I install all my programs on a different drive. Windows is on C drive, and all software gets installed to a different drive. I've had it this way for years and years, never a problem. I have just installed a trial version of Snagit7 and it installed as described with my current install problems, and it didn't even confirm install was complete. Don't even know where to start to think what the problem is.

Open Eventvwr from run. Look for application errors or warnings. What do you see?

Quote Warez Monster:
Try a repair install, were things working before you converted?

Just tried a repair install, and still can't install MS Streets and Trips 2006. And yes, things were fine before I converted. I only converted because I was told that NTFS is better file system in terms of security.

Quote Inaris:
Open Eventvwr from run. Look for application errors or warnings. What do you see?

Well I have a fiew warnings like this:

Detection of product '{AC76BA86-1033-0000-7760-100000000002}', feature 'PDFMakerForIE' failed during request for component ''
With MsiInstaller being labeled as the source.

also have a warning like this:

Detection of product '{AC76BA86-1033-0000-7760-100000000002}', feature 'Distiller', component '{4E57287A-4975-48CC-9DAF-5D93F4AB88C2}' failed. The resource 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\Drivers\W32X86\PSCRIPT5.DLL' does not exist.
with MsiInstaller being labeled as the source.

also have a warnig like this:

A provider, Rsop Planning Mode Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, root\RSOP, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the required functionality.

with WinMgmt being labeled as the source.

And the warnings and error go on. I have no clue what's up. I can't imagine the converting of the file system to NTFS, could cause this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom