new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is only so much that you can get for £600. Do you have a AMD 64 3000 right now?

You want to get pairs of memory for dual channel. When you go over 2gb's you start to bog down the memory controller so it will not be so much of a gain. By the time you need more than 2gb's you would want to get a new processor and DDR2 or what ever ram is around when you upgrade.

The CPU is always the bottleneck, so it wouldn't be overkill.

Have a look at some benchtests at www.tomshardware.com and http://www.anandtech.com/

thanks mate. ok so i may be tempted to go over the £600 mark lol.
and i already have the case/harddrives/monitor/soundcard/etc.

Yes my current comp is an AMD 64 3000. But I need a seperate comp for work and id rather use that then fork out 200£ for a bogstandard one!

ok so if i have three memory slots (standard right?) i should go for 2x1gigs is that right?

thanks for the advice. i might look at the 4000+ but the 3800+ seems a fair bit cheaper and it would work pretty well with a x1800 or 7800 right?

i find it really hard to choose the make of the graphics cards. the x1800xs seems to range from 200-300! the ati - all in wonder was 200 yet a gigabyte was closer to 300.. i could really use a benchmark just for the 1800s and 7800s listing all the brands! why do they have to make it so hard...

PS: ive found a saphire x1900xt for 350£ - may drop soon with geforces card out in a couple of weeks?

would this be overkill with a x2 3800+ -4000 ?

ok thanks. trifid posting the cpu will always be the bottleneck made me wonder if it would be better to get a better cpu and a x1800 rather then the x1900 and a 3800-4200+

would you be open to the idea of overclocking? because in my opinion the 4200+ is a waste of money because even a beginner should be able to equal that with an overclocked 3800+. if you want to get a better model see if you can afford the 4400+ because it is a toledo core (as opposed to the 3800+, 4200+ and 4600+ manchester cores). the toledo core is better than the manchester core

350£ odds alot of money for a cpu. :)
i usually spend more on the gpu right?

i was thinking the 3800+ at just over £200
then a x1800 or x1900 if the price drops?
with a lanparty mobo?
good mix?

if you look at the future rig im getting thats £650 here or there and it will run like beast (for overclockers.co.uk btw)

seems a waste to upgrade from an athlon 3000+ to a 3500+
i am wanting to play quake wars etc on really high specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom