Which Pentium 4 to get? 805 or 506?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, thanks for the help guys!
I havent done any research into Pentium 4s for years, as I've been using AMD for quite a while, I actually thought they would have stepped it up a notch since I abadoned it 3 years ago, [smacks forehead in shame].

Think I'll be happy with the 3000+ Venice for games and photoshop? The price is pretty good I'll have to say.

The 3000+ is going to be very nice for you. I've got one and am totally satisfied. I haven't found a way to slow it down yet.

@ nylax:As far as Intel goes, it'll still be a while before they lead the market for price/performance. The new processors are probably going to take a step ahead of AMD, but for people with relative budgets, count on AMD still being the better solution.

Ryan

nylax4 said:
What do you guys think about the 805 for non gaming (AIM,Photoshop,iTunes,Internet)?

All of those can easily be done on a celeron except for photoshop maybe. Photoshop requires a mid-ranged CPU but hogs memory. It eats up 1Gb on my computer easily.

Nylax, the Pentium Ds suck no matter what you're doing. Pentium 4s are still good for some stuff, but Pentium-Ds are just no good.

So you all will be pleased to know that I went with the Shuttle ST20G5 XPC that is based on Socket 939 Athlon 64s, I'm thinking I'm going to love this system... :) (once it's finished)

Flanker said:
Dang man, even a budget Sempron 64 or Athlon 64 system (in a Mid-Tower case) would outdo those P4s.

And a Pentium-D, especially one at those clockspeeds, would be utterly useless.

pentium 4 with hyperthreading is much better than Sempron 64 or Athlon 64 for multitasking

maroon1 said:
pentium 4 with hyperthreading is much better than Sempron 64 or Athlon 64 for multitasking

Oh my, I can run AIM and MSN messenger at the same time.

Who cares about having a 1.5 Core processor. I'll let my 4.12GHz Pentium 4-like $150 Athlon 64 do all the work of that $600 3.8Ghz Pentium 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom