Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddi

Baseband Member
HP PowerSupply and 6800GS

Hey Guys,

My friend has a HP Pavillion computer (Model a630n):
Intel Pentium 4 520 2800 MHz
Asus PTGD1-LA (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
512 MB of PC3200 DDR Ram
Onboard Video
160GB Hard Drive
300 Watt Power Supply

He wants to be able to play Battlefield 2, WoW and other games on good settings, so I suggested that he gets:
EVGA Geforce 6800GS CO SE PCiE16x
and
Kingston Dual Channel 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 256MB) \
both total to CDN $369.99 with shipping and tax

However, I then realized that he has a 300W power supply!

Is it possible to upgrade that power supply to something like 450W so he can run that video card keeping in mind that he has limited knowledge of building a computer?

Also, is it hard to replace power supplies?

And finally, do you think that it is a good decision (keeping in mind that he has a $400 CDN dollar budget)?

Thanks in advance, for your help!

Thanks,

The only thing is that Newegg don't ship to Canada.

On another note, would it be better to go with another 2 x 512 to make it 1536mb of ram? or just add 2 x 256 to make 1024mb of ram?

DDR Ram works best when all chip pairs are the same. Example. 2x512, 2x1GB. I would upgrade the ram to at least 1GB by adding another 512MB stick.

That power supply is pushing it close. If memory serves me right, I think the HP uses the industry standard as far as mounting the PSU, so you should be able to upgrade.

I have to agree that TigerDirect is known for their lack of coming through on rebates, but do understand the problem of finding places that ship to Canada.

I checked HP's site for the model and it clearly states that the PS is 300W :mad:

The reason probably, is because HP wants to make more money off computer-illiterate people by not including good PS's with computers that use onboard graphics

So, any suggestions whether to use a setup of 2x256 and 2x 512 sticks or just 4x256 sticks?

Nice video card decision.

About the memory, I think your better swapping out the old stuff and putting in 2x512mb of the new memory you wish to purchase. This is because the memory in his current computer setup most likely has poor latency and timings even though both types of memory are the same. This is because your computer's memory can only run as fast as your slowest stick.

For your PSU, stick with a solid Antec or OCZ with a wattage of at least 450 or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom