Chkdsk and other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewVincent

Baseband Member
I recently ran check disk and it states that windows found a problem. When I try to run chkdsk with the/F option it says it cannot run chkdsk because it is in use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It did give me the option to check at start up, which I did, but I get the same results the next time I run chkdsk.

Another question I have is when I do a disk clean up should I compress old files? I don't know if I should select this option or not.

Also how often should I defrag. Any advice would be nice. How long does defrag take?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks NV

i dont compress old files. boot to recovery console to run chkdsk. monthly defrags should be sufficent and the time it takes to complete depends on the size of the drive; plan to run the defrag during offpeak hours, usually overnight.

set bios to boot to cd, insert xp disc, when prompted press any key to boot to disc, follow instructions on screen to access recovery console.

My version of windows is the sh## version of dell service pack 2.

If I insert and boot to recovery, will I lose any current files or programs.

Sorry, but I've never done this before, and I'm a little nervous.

thanks

NV

Use the Winnt32.exe utility with the /cmdcons option to add the Windows Recovery Console to the Windows Startup folder. This procedure requires approximately 7 megabytes (MB) of hard disk space on the system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder and files.

Winnt32.exe should be on the recovery cd. prolly in the i386 dir. After installing, reboot, before xp loads you will be prompted to run either xp or recovery console.

Insert Windows XP CD.
Start > Run > X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
(replace X: with the appropiate drive letter)
Acknowledge prompt by clicking 'Yes'.
Skip updating process by clicking 'Cancel' or by pressing 'Esc'
After installation, acknowledge success msg. by clicking 'Ok'
Start > Shutdown > Restart
At boot menu, select 'Microsoft Windows Recovery Console'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom