Duron, Athlon XP, Athlon 64 Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie578

In Runtime
I currently have an Duron 1.8 and am looking into upgrading my cpu. How do thoes 3 AMD chips compare not looking at bus speed or frequency, just their technology. As far as i know the order of preformance is
Duron
Sempron
Athlon XP
Athlon 64

And also, what kind of advantages to higher bus speeds and caches offer?

I ask this b/c all games give a reccomended cpu to be aroun 1.4ghz (specificaly Call of Duty 2) athlon XP, however, my duron 1.8 has trouble with these games and im using 6800GS.

you are probably being bottlenecked in performance due to your processor. I had the same problem with a athlon xp and a higher end graphics card. When I upgraded my processor, I received an amazing boost in performance.

yeah i know, but my brother is saying taht im wasting my money with new cpu and therefore mobo. He says to tweak my hardware settings. I need some facts to see what cpu i will buy (i have my eye on athlon 64 3200+) and to support my argument taht new cpu is what i need

I have a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and I love it in Intel land it runs like a 3.2GHZ processor mines running at 2.0GHZ . Just show your brother the system requirments and if he doesn't agree just go for the cpu upgrade.

I have call of duty 2 with a 6600GT and a Sh*** mobo and the game runs so smooth on mine on high setting(not extra).

thats the same cpu i plan on getting. The reccomended for cod2 is:
64mb DirectX 9 compatible graphics card, Pentium IV or Athlon 1.4ghz CPU,
512mb RAM,
Windows 2000/XP, DirectX 9 compatible sound card.

and hes like see only 1.4! u have 1.8 but Athlon xp>>>>>> Duron.
I am deffinetly gettin a new pc. It will run me about 400 currnetly.
Athlon xp 3200+ - 170
AGP/PCI-E mobo - 70
2x512 (dual channel) DDR RAM -70
6800GS - Have
250GB barracuda - have
DVD burner - have

now i just need a case w/ good air flow as i want my new rig to be quiet

ouch! Socket 939 is the same price!

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ ~160-170
MSI AGP motherboard (Neo2 I think...) 75ish...
Same ram
same video card
same HDD
same Burner

Ryan

oops, i meant athlon 64.
ima try to unload my agp card on my friend and get a pcie card and an only pcie mobo to save some money.
I still havet gotten any info i need ><

Athlon 64 and above use on die memory controllers. They work more efficiently than the traditional FSB technology Intel still uses.

An increase in L2 cache will increase performance rather substantially. L2 cache is less important in AMD setups because they have great memory bandwidth to the ram. The memory controllers are more advanced and make it this way. Intel uses a bunch of L2 cache to make up the difference since they have less memory bandwidth to the RAM. So, if you're comparing processors, it's not fair to compare L2 cache. The Athlon does't put as much there because it's cheaper to make that way, and it simply doesn't rely on it as much.

Ryan

durons are basically amds equivalent to intels celeron

a 1.4 ahthlon will outperform a 2.4 duron, even though the duron has a higher clock speed, just *** a 2.0 pentium 4 will outperform a 3.0 celeron

so by gettin an ahtlon 64 you will see a great difference in perfromance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom