Desktop Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticRose

In Runtime
Hi,

I'm a quite frequent gamer, and obviously desktops are best for gaming. Unfortunately, i will have to move around quite often, therefore it's impossible to carry my desktop with me all the time. I dont want to buy a laptop, however, because once the laptop gets old, its components are vey hard to upgrade ( nearly impossble ). Some of my friends recommend me the idea of a desktop replacement - nearly the power of a desktop, heavy but possbile to carry around.

( This one, for example, is a desktop-replacement http://www.alienware.com/Configurat...Code=PC-LT-MJ12-M7700A-CP&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT )

On the other hand, i'm not completely sure which part of a normal desktop replacement is upgradable or not. Currently i'm looking at

1. Motherboard
2 Processor
3. Graphic Card
4. RAM ( this one is easy )
5. Hard drive

And also, if i want to upgrade the desktop replacement, do i have to buy a specal part for it, or i will just have to buy desktop stuff and plug in ? I can do some modifications with a desk top, but never with a desktop-repalcement before.

Thank u.

im not sure what your saying up there, but a desktop replacement notebook is just a big labtop with powerful parts inside of it. it's not that easy to upgrade parts by yourself because labtops use heatpipes and such and its more complicated to open one up. i heard good things about the dell xps.

I had a Dell XPS Gen 2 and it had it's ups and downs. It got really hot, but with a 6800 Ultra packed in there I guess that's what I get. Also, it was very heavy, probably due to the video card and the 17" screen. The screen was amazing though, much better than the Compaq Persario R3000 I'm on now. Battery life sucked but it's not really made for mobile use. It played games like a charm, and I'm sure with the 7800GTX it'll play em even better. I got lucky and found some nice coupon codes that shaved off 800 dollars off my system, but Dell doesn't offer many coupons anymore I don't think.

Check notebookforums.com for more information about the Dell XPS series, and also Alienware or Sager notebooks as well.

^^ What those guys said is absolutely correct. I've never heard of a "Desktop Replacement" but from your definitions and stuff, its simply a laptop with a lap of high0end parts.

If you're going with that Alienware, you'll want to do 3 things;

1.) Change the Processor from an Opteron 144 to an Athlon 64 3200+. You can't overclock in a laptop, so an Opteron is pointless.

2.) Change the Memory. Its at 256MB by default. You want atleast 1GB, preferably 2GB.

3.) Change the videocard. Its a GeForce Quadro FX right now. Thats for hardware design. You want the GeForce 7800GTX.

But that'll probably bring it close to, if not over, $3000. So you might want to check out the Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom