RAM Latencys

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff1000

In Runtime
Are they supposed to change when you put in another stick to go dual channel? When I was running memtest i tested one stick and its latency was 2.5-3-3-8 then when i tested the second stick, the latencys were 2.5-3-3-7.
What effect does this have on my computers performance and is this normal. And also when i went dual channel my ram went down to 167mhz ddr 335. When i was in single channel, it was at 201mhz ... what happened there.

Thanks

Im trying to troubleshoot my pc step by step to see why its gaying me when i play games.

AMD 3200 939
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939
Nvidia 6200 AGP

the ram sticks are pretty lame...

Ultra 512mb 400mhz PC3200

The ones that are ALWAYS on sale at tigerdirect.

theyre both ultras but one difference i can tell is, when im looking at the spd's in cpuz
one sticks CAS# Latency is 2.0 on 166mhz and 200mhz is 2.5, on the other stick, the 166mhz is 2.5 and 200mhz is 3.0, everything else is identical.

For what its worth (and i'm sure you realise) companies do often produce RAM modules that are identicle but with different CL ratings for compatibility, could it just be that you have been sent the wrong stick?

hmm im not sure on that one, but one thing i noticed is that on the sticks the chips on the sticks have 2 different manufactuers, Liberty and something else, but theyre both different in that way too..

I had a quick look on tiger direct and found this product:

Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory ULT30215

having looked at ultra's site, their pc3200 512 pacages are CL3 though the pc2700 is CL2.5 (ddr333). Do you have the part numbers for both sticks?

I expect if you set them both to CAS 3 the frequency will go back up to 400, might be that the mobo is changing the frequency to run at the faster CL timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom