P4 to a Sempron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
A friend of mine is upgrading his system soon and he gave me dibbs on his Sempron 3000+ and mobo for really cheap (possibly $40 to $60 canadian). As of now, I have a P4 clocked at 1.6Ghz with 256Kb L2 cache with an HP oem mobo. For one thing, my P4 does not support DDR memory, only ancient pc100 and pc133 ram.

These are the results of the two processors head to head (although I used a Sempron 2800+, oddly enough with 256Kb of L2 cache, the 3000+ having only 128Kb, iSandra didn't have a 3000+. The P4 is EXACTLY my own. I even did the test and the values matched):
p4vssempron0vf.jpg

So, his cpu, the Sempron 3000+ has only 128Kb of L2 cache while my P4 has 256Kb. Then again Sandra shows the Sempron being almost twice as fast. If I switched my P4 for his Sempron, would I have a decrease in performance? Plus, would DDR compatible mobo/cpu setups be compatible with pc100 and p133 ram sticks? I only plan to keep them temporarily. (the ram)

Hmmm... the benchtests don't really feature my cpu (betting cuz it's so **** ancient) but if the Sempron 3000+ beats out a P4 @ 2.8Ghz, then well, it'll definatley be a good thing to trade in my 1.6Ghz P4 then. But what significant change will there be with less L2 cache?

great, thanks for the help, but last question:

To buy a 3000+ in Canada costs about $100 retail. He's had the cpu for at least more than a year, maybe even two. For what ammount you think I should buy it from him now with the mobo? (I dont have too much info on the mobo, I believe that its an Asus, and at least supports PC2700 ram and AGPx8)

$40US with cpu and mobo.P4 is in a differant class than the seperon.The semperon was suppose to be like the celeron d but the semperon is about as good as some P4's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom