please help me make my computer faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphynx_000

Solid State Member
Problem-

I want to make my computer faster. I have a pertty new computer, and have been noticing slower start-up times, overall slowed performance when opening programs and media.

What is mostly bothering me is start-up. Initially I get to the desktop pertty quick, but I can see/hear that the hard drive and processor are running for quite some time longer. I have to wait quite a while for the computer to catch up before I can start opening programs or whatever.

Computer-

Dell 9100, XP pro, 2.8Ghz Pentuim D, 1 GB RAM, Radeon X600 256MB, 160GB SATA 7200RPM hard drive

Computer knowledge-

Pertty basic, I have installed a couple cd burners before, but thats about it under the chassie... I have heard of people running seperate harddrives for music/OS/programs, I was thinking maybe something like that would help me. I dont think memory is a problem.

A friend of mine is trying to convince me I need a i-mac. From my understanding, that system is still pertty slow running unfamiliar programs, the G4, seames to do alot better. Anyhow, I would rather keep my PC, and try to upgrade it to make it run faster. Maybe someone could shed some light on that comparison?

Computer usage-

I listen to alot of music. I almost constantly have a media player running while on the computer. The largest program I run is photoshop, and soon will be using pro-engineer (engineering design software).

Anyhow, I am just looking for some ideas or advise, anything would be appreciated.

Well, considering its a Dell you're screwed...
Anyways, onto the help, Dell installs a TON of useless software when they ship their PCs. The best route to improve performance on these is to completely reformat your computer and reinstall only the OS and drivers from the supplied Dell disks, DO NOT install all the extra crap they provide, as this stuff is useless. At least that is what was slowing down my Inspiron 600m, after I did that procedure it was quite a bit faster.
Now I'm just assuming that you havent done that yet, if you already have, then I'm not really sure what your problem is.

http://support.dell.com/
good luck upgrading a dell

you're on the right track. try moving all your media to another drive. get a 10k sata drive. faster memory. software overclock...

and sprtnbsblplya makes an excellent point...that alone will make a world of difference (just rebuilding the OS)

regards,

sprtnbsblplya said:
Well, considering its a Dell you're screwed...

bahhh, believe me I am no longer a dell fan. After a few affairs with customer service I will never purchase another PC again. Will be building one myself next time.

Reinstalling the OS sounds like it could help me alot. I just have to find someplace to store all the media I do not want to lose. I was thinking about getting an external hard drive, but im not sure it that would be the best route to speed up performance?
-Could I install another hardrive, move media to it, then reinstall windows without touching the other harddrive?

I just did a test, restarting the computer. It took mearly a minute to reach the desktop, which is fine by my standards. (maybe I shouldnt be complaining hehe)

But after that, I see my processor light blinking (I think thats what it is), and hear the hard drive running for another minute and a half. Durring that time, if I would try to open anything, browser or whatever, the computer would be very slow.

I dont understand what is going on just after restart. I have 3 icons in my system tray, and an empty desktop. I have recently defraggmented, and commonly run adware removal.

kirkmears,

I am curiouse what type of problems people run into when upgrading a dell? Are there certain components that cannot be changed?

I have removed all the program from startup that I can identify. Its always been that way. I have no idea what is going on just after start-up, the computer sounds like a bunch of stuff is happening, but the only program it could be loading is antivirus...

So basicially dell is screwing me? Why would more or a faster hard drive not help me? Is there anything I can do besides reinstalling windows?

sphynx_000 said:
I have removed all the program from startup that I can identify. Its always been that way. I have no idea what is going on just after start-up, the computer sounds like a bunch of stuff is happening, but the only program it could be loading is antivirus...

So basicially dell is screwing me? Why would more or a faster hard drive not help me? Is there anything I can do besides reinstalling windows?

Well if sounds and acts like its loading lots of things then it probably is. Have you checked for spyware?

Your problem isnt a faster drive. Sure it would speed your computer up but why fix something that isnt broken?

Ive got a 7200rpm drive and it takes me less that 30 seconds to start up.

Ran ad-aware today, and McAffe within a week. If there is spyware, I cant find it.

30 second startup would be FANTASTIC, even a min. would be ok with me.

another question...

when I open a program the first time (after I start up), it will open slow. But if I close it and open it agian, it loads MUCH faster. Is this common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom