Upgrading Mobo and Graphics Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masta_Gomes

Baseband Member
I'm wanting to upgrade my curreny motherboard, so that I'm able to buy a new graphics card. I want to buy the 7800GT, but i currently own the Gigabyte 8IPE 1000Pro2. It contains an AGP slot(with a 9600XT inserted, heh), and I'm going to need a PCIx 16 slot. The question is, my current processor, the P43200C i think, will i be able to use that on the new mobo i would buy, what motherboards will it be compatible with? Thanks.

u can get 7800GT AGP, it will save you alot of money and time.
But if you do want a PCI your processor will be able 2 run on any Intel motherboard, it depends on what socket your P4 is.

Adam.

PCIe16 doesnt cost more, i mean the 7800GS, which is made for AGP only, cost 300 dollars. While the 7800GT costs 300 dollars, and one 250 dollars after MIB.

If you can tell us the socket of your P4, hopefully it isnt s478 or your looking to buy a new processor too

Ok on the Gigabyte website it says for my motherboard, Processor

1. Socket 478 for Intel® Pentium®4 processor

And theChipset is:
Chipset

1. North Bridge: Intel® 865PE MCH
2. South Bridge: ICH5
3. Integrated Peripherals
1. Intel® CSA interface Gigabit Ethernet controller
2. Texas Instrument IEEE 1394 controller
3. Realtek ALC658 CODEC

Front Side Bus

1. 800 / 533 / 400 MHz FSB.

Well now that it seems i have a S478, well i guess this means i can either go two ways. At the moment, i have a P4 3.2GHz C Model Processor, 1 GB DDR400(2x512Mb Dual CHannel), Onboard Sound and 9600XT, in an AGP 8x slot.

I guess i could go two ways, buy an AGP graphcis card os the 7800GT, or GS whatever it's called for the AGP slot, but the question is, how long will this card last me with games, i mean, because by the time that i need to upgrade again, not only will i have to chuck out the 7800, i'll need a new motherboard and processor which will cost pretty much over a grand. OR i can wait a bit and upgrade processor and Motherboard and graphics card. Buying the AGP card still will last me a while right? ~ 1.5 -2 years HOPEFULLY?

Well i mean, it won't last at top performance, but to able to play games on at least Default settings or medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom