hard disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I split my 160 gig hard drive into 4 partitions, and i think some of my hard sisk space is being "eaten" by something. I think it has as high as 20 gigs.

e.g. i just partitioned one of the logical drives
and this is the information it gives me

Used Space 68,083,712 bytes 64.9 MB
Free space 15,658,618,880 bytes 14.5 GB
Capacity 15,726,702,592 bytes 14.6 GB

Can you tell me where are those precious bytes

MY precious bytes

you need to list your total disk size windows recognises & the sizes for every partition and unallocated space. listing just 1 partition means nothing. if using winXP you need at least SP1 installed or it will not see anything above 132GB.

ekÆsine:

"you need to list your total disk size windows recognises & the sizes for every partition and unallocated space. listing just 1 partition means nothing. if using winXP you need at least SP1 installed or it will not see anything above 132GB."

Plus, everytime you partition your drive, you will lose some space, it is jut how the system works, as this, when you install a 40GB drive, it will register about 37.2, never 40 as it "says."

WOW 160GB, why again did you chop it into four partitions?

Blake

Wouldnt it make sense to update XP and run with two partitions, or just leave it as is? With the 130 gb???

Deadguy said:
Like Ek said older copies of XP dont support large hardrives.Newer version's XP sp1 do.Most hard drive companies have a utility you can use to fix it or you can use Partion magic.

With 70 gig's being used and 15 gigs x 4=60.That would be about 130 gig's.So id say you got one of the older version's of XP.

When did XP se arrive ?
This is not a large drive ? That was gone with W98.
But of course you have to say yes to large support.
160x4 is a good way to go,by rhe way.
How many drives show in My Computer ?

Thanks for all the replies

i am getting a total of 127.1 gigs
my four partitions are as follows

Name (Type)
Local disk C:

oops something happened while i was typing, i did not know i could not use tab in the text box

my hard disk is Wstern Digital UDMA 100 with 8 megs of cache.
(i went for it because of it's three years warranty)
is there a perceptible difference between UDMA 100 and 133.
I got no software with my WD drive

local disk C: 14.6 GB 11.2 GB (Windows XP)
local disk D: 14.6 GB 14.5 GB
local disk F: 19.5 GB 19.4 GB
local disk G: 79.1 GB 71.6 GB (My games)

is there a version of parition magic which works with windows xp, i tried one version, i did not like windows xp

how do i know which version of xp i have?
how do i enable large support?

i split it into four partitions so that i would have one partition for Windows XP
one for another version of Windows(2000/ME/98), which one would you recommend
Linux
my stuff

does paritioning your hard drives improve the reliability of your drive, in the sense that if one partition gets messed up, the others are still ok

i lately came across people having seperate drives for OS and apps, are there any advantages to that approach?

I cannot see only one partition messing up and the rest of the drive being perfectly fine. But hey, these are computers we are talking about, anything really can happen with them.

99% of the time though, if one part of your drive is corrupt, the rest is not going to work right either.

Blake

I have got Windows XP Version 2002
i will install SP1 and see if that works

what version of Partition Magic supports Windows XP.
Is there a Partition Magic Pro 8 out there?

using xp pro with no updates i had your same problem. after installing xp sp2, problem gone, even in windows setup it saw the full 160GB. i don't trust PQ, but if you don't mind spending the money.....you can download sp1 for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom