Factory Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

and_justice

Solid State Member
I have an AMD 2500+ XP on a Asus A7N8X-X and G Force V9520 chip set.

I would like to overclock with factory heatsink. Right now, when im gaming or whatever, my CPU doesnt get very hot. Can I use that temperature headroom to overclock a bit?

It depends upon the speed of your memory and also what temperature headroom you have.
If you post your memory specs and current max temp I'll have a better idea.

Ok: CPU Freq. 166MHz, CPU Multiple 11, RAS to CAS 3,CAS Lat 2.5T, CPU VCore 1.65V.

Anything else?

Oh yeah, max temperature is about 30-35.

that asus BIOS is lying to you. add 10C to your temperatures and thats your real cpu temp. use a hardware sensor probe and you will see. not a bad overclock though, test to see if anything is unstable by playing games and play a DVD movie off your hard disk.

What? Thats crazy that you say that. My reading is from a hardware probe. When i go into my BIOS it reads about 10 degrees higher than that! I talked to an ASUS support dude about it and he said that when in BIOS your CPU runs at full tilt. When running in windows, the OS sends idle commands to the CPU so it runs only when it needs too.

I am using the probe that came with my motherboard. Is there an after market probe i should b using?

i also run w/ the same mobo as you....i also have noticed it being higher in bios as well...i havent had any issues and i just make sure not to get over 50c using asus probe to be on the safe side...if you do can always clock your processor back down.

If you download motherboard monitor you can set it to read the temperature from a diode within the proccy itself, I think that is the most accurate way to measure it.

Ekaesine is right though, I just bought a thermaltake xaser III case with a hardcano. I put a thermal reader under my cpu, and it shows up on my harcano to be 10 degrees higher than what my epox motherboard/cpu probe says. It's funny...

this came with your motherboard? you mean the sensor that is built into the motherboard? thats not a sensor probe. i am talking about a probe you physically must install.

you would use a special piece of tape to hold the probe underneath the CPU. a long thin wire runs from underneath the CPU to a LCD screen.

and_justice said:
What? Thats crazy that you say that. My reading is from a hardware probe. When i go into my BIOS it reads about 10 degrees higher than that! I talked to an ASUS support dude about it and he said that when in BIOS your CPU runs at full tilt. When running in windows, the OS sends idle commands to the CPU so it runs only when it needs too.

I am using the probe that came with my motherboard. Is there an after market probe i should b using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom