XP Pro Activation crap.. question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I have XP Home, the serial is from my laptop. Well, I installed XP home a few times because I had to format. I installed it on my other computer, and now it says that the serial # can no longer be activated. Now, I have to reactivate when you simply change RAM! I find this unfair, I don't know about anyone else. If I own the OS, why can't I do what I want with it?

My question: If I was to PURCHASE my own copy of XP Pro, the full retail version can I reinstall it as many times as I like? Because if I can't, it's easier to.. uh.. you know rather then buying XP Pro and giving Microsoft all my money.

I hate using illegal stuff, that's why I try my best to avoid using XP or any OS illegally.

I'm pretty sure Pro retail makes you reactivate too. What you're thinking of is the Corperate Edition, which costs a sh*t load. I'm not even sure you can buy it.

I have installed XP on my PC alot, and it hasn't hit the limit yet. I still have to call MS sometimes (last time it didn't ask :D)

I haven't installed it on another PC with it still on it.

WorldIndustries said:
I'm pretty sure Pro retail makes you reactivate too. What you're thinking of is the Corperate Edition, which costs a sh*t load. I'm not even sure you can buy it.

Err. That really sucks. What if.. I was to convert my OS to Corp with a special program that I won't mention because it's bannable?

;)

Another question. I used RockXP and it gave me a serial # that isn't on the bottom of my laptop. Actually, it's so far off it's not even funny. Is it possible my laptops manufactor used a different serial # that doesn't require activation for the ease of not needing to activate 1000's of pcs?... in hopes of not having the end user spoof it out? :X

There is no program to change XP Home to XP Pro the "special" corp edition to my knowladge is just XP Pro without activation.

Yes that also happened to me, RockXP gave me a "free" serial once never tried it I don't know if it works. And legality is questionable when using it.

Also you took your laptop serial and installed it on anyother computer. Microsofts rule is one serial per computer and if you install the same serial on more than one computers there is a chance it will be recorded as pirated in the MS database when it isn't.

Bottom line is a normal key can be activated 3 times while MSDN keys can be activated 9 (ish) times, these keys are alot more money. In any case if you call MS they should allow you to activate over the phone without buying a new key.

The (OEM) PC Manufacturer:

The majority of customers acquire Windows xp with the purchase of a new computer, and most new computers pre-loaded with Windows XP will not require activation at all. Microsoft provides OEMs with the ability to "pre-activate" Windows XP in the factory. About 75% of all new PCs will be delivered to the customer pre-activated.

The Pre-activation; of Windows XP by the OEMs will be done in one of two different ways depending on the OEM's own configuration options and choices. Some OEMs may protect Windows XP using a mechanism which locks the installation to OEM-specified BIOS information in the PC. This technology works very similar to existing technologies that many OEMs have used over the years with the CDs they ship to reinstall Windows on these computers. Microsoft has expanded the existing OEM CD BIOS locking mechanism with product activation, and call this method of protection "System Locked Pre-installation," or SLP.

SLP uses information stored in an OEM PC's BIOS to protect the installation from casual piracy. No communication by the end customer to Microsoft is required and no hardware hash is created or necessary. At boot, Windows XP compares the PC's BIOS to the SLP information. If it matches, no activation is required.

Every single piece of hardware could be changed on a PC with SLP and no reactivation would be required. Even the motherboard could be replaced as long as the replacement motherboard was original equipment manufactured by the OEM and retained the proper BIOS. But, if the BIOS information does not match, the PC would need to be activated within 30 days by contacting the Microsoft activation center via the Internet or telephone call in retail

Yea, I did install it onto another pc *gulp*. BUT, I'm using my laptop now (I don't have my desktop PC yet) and have not yet reinstalled it or anything.

But come on. I bought the laptop (It's made by Abs), why is Microsoft taking away all my rights to use it as I see fit?

I program, and if I was to charge money for a peice of software I would let you install as many times as you want, wherever you want. As long as it's for your use. All my PCs are for my use, and no one elses.

If Microsoft gained respect from people, that would be the best way to combat piracy.

Anyway, if I use that serial # to reinstall my XP Pro onto my laptop, would it work for one. And would it mean it's preactivated?

And what are your thoughts of Microsoft doing this?

Thanks =)! For your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom