building PC, $1000 budget, me = noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
devilstar187, I'm not sure why you would want the 6600, even in SLI.
A single 6800GT has been shown to beat the 6600s in SLI in most tests, if you want SLI go at least with 2x 6800GT, or get a 6800GS.

i liked how you hijacked this thread devilstar.

anyways, as for the computer build, i liked kitire's computer build. a decent system for under $1K. You would get a better system if you didn't have to buy a new monitor, but i guess 15 inch crt is not something i could tolerate very much. devilstar's sugested build for you doesn't have a video card; and he doesn't seem to know much about computers anyways since he was planning to get two 6600 512... which i didn't even know exited.. what company would make 512mb for a 6600?!

As for ulater6000's system for sale, he should post the specs and price so we can say if its a good deal or not (if you're willing to buy used... off some stranger).

My only alteration to kitire's system would be maybe spend an extra $26 on a monitor that has 8ms response time... although i doubt you'd get ghosting with a 12ms monitor..

Good Luck and have fun

ya know dude you should try looking things up before trying to start a flame war. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1549699&CatId=1826 theres your 512 geforce 6600. as for the $1k build the person said they already have a video card and it wasnt a priority. and furthermore if you would actually read the posts before commenting you would see that i decided to go with 2x 7800gtx vc's because that 512 6600 is made by a company that i know nothing about. and id rather not put something that i know nothing about into a machine i am spending that much money on. so eat **** and die you communist *** spulunker.

peace

lol i didn't say they didn't exist, i said i didn't know they existed. the fact that you were planning on getting it in the first place shows that your knowledge of video cards is lacking (not saying i'm a pro or anything).

not tryin to start anything.

you DID hijack this thread.

communism rules

yes i admit i kinda hijacked it but it wasnt intentional. and no im not a pro either. this will actually be the first gaming pc i build and as you can see there have been quite a few changes along the way due to advice from this forum. generally speaking i know what im doing but as for the more technical aspects my knowlage is lacking. honestly i have learned more in the last week from this forum than i have in 6 years dealing with computers for work, school, and home use. im not afraid to admit im still learning. but i will ask you this, do you know anything about a company called biostar? the specs on their hardware looks pretty good and they are priced pretty low. im just not sure if they are worth the time it takes to look at their products.

might as well join in on the hijacking.

i've seen biostar mobos around. i have no personal experience with them. from what i see, they seem to be good on stabliity and great value. Probably not a great choice for gamers and overclockers tho.. i could be wrong.

I don't know what the heck your smoking if you even considered a 400 dollar power supply...

Are you stupid? I used it as a comparison of the wide range of prices found among power supplies. As stated, I don't know what I'm doing, so I just wanted a little feedback. Obviously you are too dense to understand even basic conversation.

Here is the revised plan:

My original budget was $1000, but can't pass up a 7800 GT and a 10,000 RPM HD. $1000 is coming from the parents and I will put down the remaining sum. I want a fast gaming machine. Is there anything that is not compatible or is a waste of money? Thnx for any/all replies.

Monitor:

ViewSonic VA702b Black 17" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail

Mouse:

Keeping my Microsoft intellimouse 3.0

Keyboard:

Keeping the old shitter

CD Drive:

Keeping the old one

Case:

This was recommended for me but does it have enough cooling power on it?

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Hard Drive:

I want blinding fast loading speeds and went for the 74 GB because it was only $50 more than the 37 GB. I also read that the 74 is faster than the 37, although I have had a 20 GB HD for 5 years and have never filled it.

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Video Card:

eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Power Supply:

ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail

Memory:

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K - Retail

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700CFBOX - Retail

Motherboard:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Total (with shipping): $1,339.71

your ram is really expensive. you could get better priced ram and get a dual core processor. (or improve another part of your setup)

for example:

newegg:

Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
Timing 2-3-2-5-T1

$108.33
($88.33 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail

$297.00

if you count the mail in rebate thats pretty much even.

you'd get better performance with upgrading other parts rather than spending so much on ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom