Speestep + Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizoku

Solid State Member
So, simple question...how do I turn off speedstep in XP? It doesn't give the option in the power options.

There is a driver installed (supplied by laptop manufacturer or auto detected by Windows XP) that you can disable in the Windows device manager or you can disable Speedstep in your laptops CMOS options at start up.

It's not in the CMOS settings, which tab would it be under in the device manager? I don't want to disable anything I shouldn't by accident.

You must have it turned off in the BIOS and in WinXP. If you go into the Power Applet in Control Panel and select the Always On option it will disable Speed Step. Right click your desktop > Click properties > Click Screen Saver > Power button > Change the Power Scheme to always on.

Ok, so I tried all that (except there isn't an actual speedstep option in my BIOS) and I changed the power settings on my laptop and still no luck...

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 2.0Ghz, 533MhzFSB, 2MB Cache
1024MB(1024MB X1) DDR2-533 PC4200 (corsair)
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 based MXM graphics module with 256MB Memory
60 GB 5400rpm Serial-ATA-150
8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 16x CD-R/RW Combo Drive
Windows XP Home Edition w/Service Pack-2

Unfortunately all the Pentium M CPUs have Speedstep. The problem is that XP has a driver already set up and doesn't have a seperate driver like other Windows OS's which make it much easier to disable.

Mainly because I want optimum performance for gaming. It kills my framerates when it's unplugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom