advise on build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

detour31

Baseband Member
hey im currently thinking of building a fairly high pc and wondering about a couple of things. this the main stuff im planing i will add other things that i already have lying about. also i am fairly tight on the budget side of things.

GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail

Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Red UV

Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 NCQ 80GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM

the memory psu and motherboard come in a budle and work out cheaper on www.overclockers.co.uk the only thing im thinking of changing is the motherboard as it is asus and have heard bad things about them. is this worry correct or are they generally quite good.

Your current specs for ur new machine sound nice. Wish I could afford a BFG 7800 Graphics card.

Erm yea the thing about the ASUS Motherboard, I bought one recently for my new machine, and the only problem I've had with it is trouble getting RAM that is compatible with it, its nothing to do with differences on the latency on the RAM, its just ASUS arnt very good when it comes to being compatible with other products.
But i darnt complain with a bus speed of 2000MHz. lol

If I remember correctly corsair works well with asus where as dfi works well with ocz . At any rate the asus board I have in my other rig works like a champ on corsair (even if it is an intel board :( )

Nice but lacking

STAY AWAY FROM CORSAIR! the compatability between ur Asus and the Value RAM is almost not even there! I would suggest saving up a lil and getting the OCZ platnum.From Newegg...
2GB total now

Pros: Looks good, great price.

Cons: Cant really tell a difference in speed between 1gb and the 2gb that I now have.

Reviewed By: Jump1979man, 2/23/2006 8:08:25 PM
And your processor shoul be considered as well
Cons: Not an X2, pins on the processor are easily bent, stock heatsink fan could be a little better. EXTREME Multitasking just barely reveals that this is not a dual core (eg. encoding video, running virus scan and spyware scan, and meanwhile watching a video while perhaps playing a video game will likely slow it down)
If you are going to spend 200 on a pro it should support mild to heavy multitasking! I would suggest the AMD Opteron 148 socket 939 for a mild to tight budget and the Opteron 165 Denmark socket 939 for heavy OCing b/c it is the BEST at it! From http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94528
opteron 165...best OC'n DC under 400. can hit 2.75GHz. get em while there hot. the price is RISING!
it will work with that mobo. it starts at 1.8, but they overclock very well. the overclocks range from 2.5-2.9ghz on air cooling. be it the lowest or highest overclock, it will outperform the 3800+ and it has twice the cache.
Your Vid Card os fine but it WOULD be worth it to upgrade to the 7800 GT
And from what ive heard your HDD is a great value for its size!

Overall i think you did well putting your list together and all but there are a few places where it wouldnt hurt to spend a few more $$. Anyways happy gaming!:cool:

If I remember correctly corsair works well with asus where as dfi works well with ocz . At any rate the asus board I have in my other rig works like a champ on corsair (even if it is an intel board )
Realy? ive ALWAYS heard stay away from valueselect...

danniboy344 said:
Your current specs for ur new machine sound nice. Wish I could afford a BFG 7800 Graphics card.

yer i can only afford it because im not buying all the components that would be needed for a new pc e.g. no case, no wirless card, no cables. this is because i have them already lying about form other machines that i dont use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom